CAgricole statement ref, weird?

milkeybar kid

Sorted, the terminology "RET" refers to Retrait, seen on top left corner of the paper receipt the bank gives you when you-yourself asks for cash over the counter!!!!!!! this enlightenment dawned on the better half at 4am this morning and yes it referred to cash to pay for the delivery of wood!!! last month which we had forgotten about. Phew, that saved embarrasement at the bank -for now !! - Milkey

We have been able to withdraw and deposit cash over the counter at our branch in the Gard, but this will change in September. We will then have to pay for a card so we can deposit cash (we don't withdraw cash; it's for writing cheques to paybills etc). We were originally told it would cost about 30 euros, but it turned out that was for an international card, which we don't need; there is one just to use in the bank costing about 12 euros.

Jo

• 2 weeks later...
For payments over the card limit, why not just use a cheque?

I discovered the hard way that there is a general limit on card expenditure - I think 3000 euros a month total spend. When I asked them to re-activate the card (the account was well in credit), I was told to wait for the end of the month. Alternatively, I could apply for a platinum card (or something like that), which provided a higher monthly limit but at a substantial higher annual fee. I didn't.

French banking is lacking one of the slogans of a British bank (whom I think was as equally lacking as its competitors) "there must be a better way!"

Why honour a debit card payment where there is instant verification that the funds are in place when you can force the customer to use a cheque that costs you more to process without verification?

Why pass on the savings after introducing systems that streamline the organisation  like debit cards, internet banking etc when you can charge your customers for the priveledge?