Taxes Foncieres

Paul King

Hi All,

I have today received our very first “Taxes Foncieres” bill to our UK address for our holiday home in Charente. I am very keen to ensure this gets paid as promptly as possible but could someone please help me with some of the documentation – it would be greatly appreciated.

At the bottom of the letter is what looks like a detachable payment slip which looks like it is asking for my bank details to be entered to pay (TIP Titre interbancaire de paiement). Can someone please advise do I have to complete this form with my bank details or can I just send a cheque?

Many thanks

Paul.

On the back it says, "Comment régler vos taxes foncières" = how to pay your taxes

then it lists 6 different ways to pay.

If you want to pay by cheque, write the cheque to the order of TRESOR PUBLIC,
put it in the envelope provided along with the tear off bit from the bottom of the form.

Make sure that the address that starts "CENTRE D'ENCAISSEMENT" is showing in the window on the envelope.

You have until 15 October to pay (if it is the same as ours!) and if you are late, you may be charged 10 % interest.

Danny

EDIT PS you don't need to fill in the tear off slip.

If you don't want to be bothered with cheques for future bills, you just include a bank RIB with your TIP and cheque.  Next year, your TIP will have your bank account details preprinted on it so you just sign the TIP (no cheque required) and send it bank in the envelope and your bank account will be automatically debited with the amount of the bill.

We have just received our fonciere form -  I suspect it is for the current year or is it for 2010? 

We didn't 'occupy' the house until mid May this year - it was totally empty until then and we've been told by a neighbour that no 'habitation' is payable for 2009 so if a habitation demand arrives, will it be for 2010 or will I have to argue with the authorities?[:(]

I would appreciate members' guidance as to any procedures for appealing against the amount assessed for this tax (as well as tax d'habitation). I live in a village with no facilities (shops, doctors etc) & am paying in total about 2,500 euros! The powers that be have informed me there is no appeal as the values have been fixed by "an expert" & the computer does the rest and "you live in a grand maison" (139metres carrés!)

In my previous life I had some experience of appeals procedure in relation to property taxes, so I really can not accept that I am up a one way street - La France!

UAG

Hi,

If I have read and translated correctly the details on my TF documentation, I can opt to pay monthly as long as I have registered before December 16th 2009. In fact I have already taken a RIB into the local tresorie but have still received a bill telling me it must be paid by October 15th. Is this normal practice i.e sending the bill  but keeping the RIB till the payments start in January??

thanks

tuppence

Tuppence.

I can undestand your confusion but filling out the forms before Dec 16th is to give you the priveledge of giving them an interest free loan by paying next years taxes in advance.

You are still expected to pay this years by the due date and if you dont they wont accept tha payment (in advance) arrangement for next year. Generous heh!

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

If you don't want to be bothered with cheques for future bills, you just include a bank RIB with your TIP and cheque.  Next year, your TIP will have your bank account details preprinted on it so you just sign the TIP (no cheque required) and send it bank in the envelope and your bank account will be automatically debited with the amount of the bill.

[/quote]

We have our first Foncieres bill. Can we simply sign the TIP (which has none of our bank details included), and attach a RIB without also sending a cheque.

[quote user="tuppence"]

Hi,

If I have read and translated correctly the details on my TF documentation, I can opt to pay monthly as long as I have registered before December 16th 2009. In fact I have already taken a RIB into the local tresorie but have still received a bill telling me it must be paid by October 15th. Is this normal practice i.e sending the bill  but keeping the RIB till the payments start in January??

thanks

tuppence

[/quote]

If you register for monthly payments before 12/12/2009 your first monthly payment for this years TF. will be taken out on the 15/01/2010

I just set up a direct debit (prelevement) for my TF and TH  when I had the first bills in 10 years ago so it is now deducted automatically on the due date. I just get a bill which tells me the date it will be taken from the bank - several weeks notice is given.

On the basis that there is absolutely no choice as to whether or not to pay the direct debit suits me fine. I guess the problems will start if I sell up given that it is hard to cancel a direct debit (or so I am told) , but if I do that I would close the bank account anyway!

Andy

Er................closing the bank account doesn't always mean the account is closed?

Think I'm talking rubbish?  Well, we'd closed 2 bank accounts in the past and there were problems both times.  Admittedly much more trouble with CA than Credit Mutuel.

After we thought all was closed, etc, they still paid our dds and sent for us to ask why we didn't cancel the dds before closing the accounts and, of course, many euros changed hands before they would agree to let us leave their offices.

I pointed out that, as dds cost 12 euros to cancel each one, I thought closing the account would mean a cessation of activity in our account.  But, not a bit of it.  I'd arranged to pay the bills by cheque anyway and, in the end, had to try and get one lot of money back from SFR .

Could only thank heaven that it WAS SFR and not FT as that would have been yet another lot of many euros stolen by this disreputable company.  If I were French, I'd petition for this company to be forced to stop using the word "France" in their name.

Could only thank heaven that it WAS SFR and not FT as that would have been yet another lot of many euros stolen by this disreputable company.  If I were French, I'd petition for this company to be forced to stop using the word "France" in their name.

Cricky S17 - Why disreputable? Is there something I should know before deciding which company to use next Spring when I move? (may be this is on another thread - let me know if so. Ta)

Annie, you poor innocent!  Still, going in with your eyes open has only got to be a good thing?

Look here and all will be revealed!

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/1089758/ShowPost.aspx

BTW, I'm with SFR (which used to be Neuf) and no longer have a landline.  If you search carefully, you'd find out about telephone services, the dos and don'ts.

It's fun to learn as you go along but, as they say, experience doesn't come cheap so make use of all the info on here.  Many, many people on the Forum are pretty smart about all aspects of French life, so just learn as much as you can!

Oh, and Good Luck (again!), you'd need it!

Good grief, what a load of hassle!! Perhaps it will be a big fat 'non merci' to FT and direct debits in future. I do unfortunately, pay my tax F and tax H by DD because I did not want to be in a position where they weren't paid, ie cheque lost in the post or postal strike blah blah. Especially whilst still in England.

I can only agree about the info and expertise on the forum. I have picked up so much from this. Even when the info is a point of view rather than factual.