Manche - increase in Taxes Foncieres

alnmike

Hi

I've just received my Foncieres advice, and the 'base' is double what it was previously. so the monthly debit we have been paying (by DD for the last 5 years) now has 2 huge payments on it for November and December.

Any thoughts on why it has increased so much?

Also - we sold our house in July, I believe we are liable for the full year - please could someone confirm?

Many thanks,

Have you by any chance finished a renovation project and reported the fact to the tax authorities?  When our major renovation work was basically complete and we filled in the H1 form, we had a 2 year period of grace and then our taxe fonciere doubled.  For us that was last year, not this.

As you know, the local taxes are based on a notional rental value. There have been revaluations going on over the past year or two, the valuers tend to do this by just viewing the exterior (or even, if rumour can be believed, from aerial photographs). As a result many properties which were seriously under-valued in the past have now been brought into line with the rest of us who were paying more realistic taxes.

Hope this helps answer the question, though it may not be the answer you wanted.

Many thanks all.

I emailed the office (google translation is a wonderful thing) and it appears it is because we had some renovations done - which we haven't. We got planning permission but only had a Velux put in. I've explained this to them and await there response!