Verbal RIB details - binding?

Nickd

Having just given my RIB details over the phone the SFR during preliminary discussions about taking up their ADSL offer, I've decided for various reasons not to go ahead. Unfortunately the number I was given to contact customer service doesn't seem to be right, so I'm worried that I've opened up my bank account to this company and can't close it.

Can anyone tell me if this is the case, even though nothing has been put in writing, no delivery agreed etc.  

Nick

I started paying Neuf by debit from by bank card. When the card expired, I contacted Neuf to give them the new card details and happened to mention I would prefer to pay by cheque. This was changed straight away and I now pay on receipt of the bill by TIP, as my bank account details are pre-printed on the payment slip.

On my SFR account page, there is an option to change the payment type.

There is also a link to the "droit de rétraction", which they have to quote by law. You might want to make use of that.

If you do, ensure you quote the Art. of the Code, as shown below in italics:

Droit de rétractation

Conformément aux dispositions de l’art. L.121-20 du Code de la

Consommation,
vous disposez d’un délai de sept jours francs à compter

de l’acceptation de l’offre pour exercer votre droit de rétractation en

adressant au Service Client SFR neufbox et fixe

TSA 30144 94098 CRETEIL CEDEX
un courrier recommandé avec avis de

réception faisant état de l’exercice par le Client de son droit de

rétractation.

Si ce délai expire un samedi, un dimanche, ou un jour férié ou chômé, il est prorogé jusqu’au premier jour ouvrable suivant.

PS: I believe that the fact you gave them your details over the phone is enough to give them access to your account.

Thanks Clair, that looks just the job...

I am writing my cancellation letter and will send it this afternoon. This will be more water-tight than a phonecall I'm sure. I rather got cornered into giving away my RIB, then regretted it when reflecting on the pros & cons of changing my ADSL supplier.

Best wishes,

Nick

Giving them your RIB is not the same as signing une autorisation de prelevement so they dont intend and will not be able to debit your account (famous last words) it was probably so that they can send you a TIP to sign.

I dont think that you have anything to worry about and you dont need to/aren't able to cancel a contract that doesnt exist [blink]

[quote user="Chancer"]

Giving them your RIB is not the same as signing une autorisation de prelevement so they dont intend and will not be able to debit your account (famous last words) it was probably so that they can send you a TIP to sign.

I dont think that you have anything to worry about and you dont need to/aren't able to cancel a contract that doesnt exist [blink]

[/quote]

No but it can still be serious.

I had a disagreement with SFR and despite them providing me with NO service at all, they still sent me invoices. When I refused to pay them they threatened to take out a court order to seize the amount they claimed I owed and they would do it from any account of mine they had details of. Apparently my only course of action would be to sue them in court after they had taken my money. In the end I paid for something I never had just to get them off my back.

Mik,

Until reading your post, I was feeling confident that I'd be okay. I have sent a letter cancelling (my non-existent order) to the address kindly supplied by Clair yesterday, to be signed for on delivery. In it I quoted the details regarding right to cancel etc.

But this is worrying me, what you wrote. What exactly were the circumstances. Had you actully signed an order of any sort? I'm hoping that as I have not placed an order, only discussed provision of their service (though supplying my RIB) that they will not startsending invoices.

Thanks to everyone for your concern & advice. I will let you know how I get on..

Nick

Sorry if I worried you Nick. I am sure you will be ok but I just wanted to post a warning to be as careful as possible.

In my case a telephone caller sold me the idea, took my rib details and I agreed to accept the service verbally. There was nothing in writing. Shortly after the phone was cut off and I remained without a service for two months until, in desperation, I returned to France Telecom (on the advice of an engineer they sent). I never received a service but got plenty of bills from them. The whole process was a complete nightmare.

If you haven't actually started with them I think you are ok.

No Mik, I'm very pleased to hear your tale - thanks for letting me know about your experience. In my case I also indicated verbally that I would like to go ahead, but was told that I had to call a Customer Services number to get things going. I also said that I couldn' make any changes till into November and was told that nothing would happen till I said it should. The number I was given I couldn't get through on - maybe I took it down wrong. Anyway I'm hoping that putting my decision not to go ahead in writing before I had confirmed the details of geting an installation under way, will do the trick..

Alarming that they got you cut off from FT like that - did this happen unexpectedly or was the problem that they failed to connect your new system in timely so you returned to FT?

Nick

Wills advice to send a lettre recommandée avec accusé de réception is very sound.

They told me they would take care of switching from FT to SFR and would send me a text when they had done so. I did not have a mobile phone (no service where I live) so asked for a simple phone call or even a letter when the switch was completed. They refused, asking me if I knew how many customers they had. I had to use a friends mobile phone.

A few days later I had a text saying the switch had been completed and that's when my phone went off.

To give you an idea of their treatment, after I received the final final threat to pay up or have my assets seized (and pay for that privaledge) I gave in and paid the bill to get them off my back. A few days later they said they had looked into my dossier (where I complained of paying for something I had not received) but were unable to take it further as I had already paid the bill!

I would caution anyone to think twice about switching to SFR but I have to say some other forum members are very happy with them.

And so why did you cancel & stop th process? Was it because of the delay in mving forward fromm there, or did you decide the switch was not such a good idea, as I have.

I am concerned that relying on my internet link for all phone calls is not a good idea, given the provlems we get with storms & poer cuts. It's better to have a phone line independent of the mains I think, especially as we have no mobile coverage at our house.

Nick  

After 2 months without a phone, an engineer they sent to look at the problem, actually turned up for the third appointment he made. He told me that my phone was not connected in any way and that SFR must know this and he should not have been sent for. When I asked him what I should do next he said go back to FT. That was when I decided to cancel.

I then went from 2 months of technical hell trying to get a service to several months of financial hell trying to get it stopped!

And they kept my phone number and won't give it back Angry [:@]

All very distressing and so totally unneccessary. How can firms operate do this and get away with it? How can the people working for them be so unfeeling as to act this way? You must have been really frustrated & angry.. I am just hoping I've escaped this kind of treatment - time will tell..

Nick