i have a dream

hi all. im a french newbie and have a few questions. ive been thinking of buying a property in france and have been searching the net for bargains, im looking for a renovation job as im capable of turning my hand to most trades, im a plumber but been in construction a number of years. some propertys ive seen are for around 20000. to 25000 euros, yes these places are in a bad way, but i cant go any higher as im rather poor. my idea was to buy a property of this value and slowly renovate it , involving earning money in the uk and then coming over to france as much as possible for long weekends and sometimes weeks at a time. im not interested in earning money from the property, just would like a home that is paid for and to get out of this uk rat race. wondered if anyone else is doing the same sort of thing, sure there are. any advice on renovating , septic tanks, electrical, water connection prices , building supplies and all that sort of thing. oh yeah i also plan to grow my own fruit and veg, the real good life... i hope. thankyou very kindly for reading this.. au revoir...bob

It's a great dream to have and I think France is the place where you can still realise this dream because you still can buy ruins and if you can do everything yourself and don't want to make any money I think you could make your dream come true. I am sure there are lots of people on this forum who have done the same and this forum is a great place to get advice and help.  My advice would be: don't forget it is not cheap to get to France (ferry and petrol) so you need to factor that in.

thanks monika. im at the very early stages of this dream or nightmare. im going to france in september and will be looking at a few places . true what you say about costs of going back and forth to france. im a good swimmer, maybe ill swim the channel. he he. thanks again regards rob.

hi pads. ive seen some places on the net in lower normandy, also western loire and centre.im not sure what these regions are like but ill be visiting them in sept as i said before.any reccomendations pads would be appreciated..... thanks rob....

bobster, one thing counting against you at the moment is the weak £, that makes France much more expensive for us Brits than it used to be. Therefore, in budgeting for any renovation work you should take the equivalent cost in the UK as a base point, as you may find it cheaper to bring some materials over from the UK in your van.

hi sprog. good point. that would be ok for me. been reading that its not advisable to bring certain materials over, such as electrical wiring and sockets, also plumbing materials are different i believe, shame i get a good discount here. thanks for advice, keep em coming folks. regards rob...

hi plod. hopefully i will be able to buy the place outright and earn money in uk for the renovation. when i eventually move there i hope maybe there will be jobs for plumbers. this is all pie in the sky at mo, but i am very serious about this venture. hopefully you folk can point me in the right direction. quick question... what sort of fees would i be expected to pay for buying a place in france. thanks ..... rob.

Heres a good bargain for some one who can do it himself ...

As its two houses you could do them up sell one and keep one and be quids in

Nice area ....

http://www.lacledor.com/biens-immobiliers/ref.-625-cabardes/

[quote user="Monika"]Sorry to hi-jack the thread but Sprogster you joined on the same day as me!!![/quote]

Sorry Monika, only a minor point, but I suspect that you may have jumped to the wrong conclusion here. I also appear to have joined on the same date, but what in fact happened was that that was the date when the latest major revamp of the CF forum went live. My guess is that all previous users were transferred across and acquired that date as their join date... Both you and I were on the site before that date.

Regards

Pickles

You are right Pickles, I thought I joined in 2003.

Pads thats a great Renovation Project, looking at that, I know I have one more substantial renovation in me ( we have done 3 substantial ones and several part renovations).

This time I would go not for the perfect but for the shabby chic, and leave lots of the original even if it is not the latest fashion (excluding electricity and plumbing that is, that I would want to be up to date!)