When To Pay Tax Foncier? Have they forgotten me?

Davie

I have been renovating an old cottgae in France for the past 7 years and have been slowly transforming 4 crumbling walls into a decent little cottage. I got Certificate De Urbanism and then Permit de construir which was completed 2 years ago. I now am completing internal works and have been for the past 2 years without permit. (My French buddy tells me everything I'm doing is fine, and he's a builder). Problem is the more I've been thinking and reading the more I am sure that I need to pay Tax Foncier. But I have had no contact from anyone for years. I did move a few years ago but notified everyone (so I thought). I did pay a small tax the year after I bought it but that's it. The other day I wrote a letter to my Tresor Public asking for information. I don't know if I need to pay it or if I should have been paying it all along or if I (as I always assumed)  pay it after the renovation. The more I read the more confused I get about the whole situation.

I think we may have been forgotten too.  We moved here a year ago, paid the bit of tax to the end of 2008 (via the notaire so she could reimburse the previous owners for that portion of the years' tax).  And we have received and paid for water so it is not as though we are nowhere to be found in the system.  Not received any forms or demands for payment for 2009.  Asked in the Mairie and got a shrug, and a jokey comment about being mad to volunteer to pay, but I don't want to end up with a massive bill, or being fined for late payment, ignorance being no defence etc etc.

This is no help Davie, but I do empathise!

Fi

[quote user="Fi"]I think we may have been forgotten too.  We moved here a year ago, paid the bit of tax to the end of 2008 (via the notaire so she could reimburse the previous owners for that portion of the years' tax).  And we have received and paid for water so it is not as though we are nowhere to be found in the system.  Not received any forms or demands for payment for 2009. 
[/quote]

It is very likely that they could have gone to an old address in the UK. Suggest you visit/ get in touch with the HOTEL DES IMPOTS for your area (do not confuse with the TRESOR PUBLIC).

We don't have an old UK address!  We came here from the Netherlands, but at no time do I recall giving our Dutch address to any official bodies (other than to the immo, notaire and bank).  The only people who ever wrote to us at that address were those three.  The immo informed the Mairie of our imminent arrival, and everything else (healthcare, business registration, car stuff, phone, EDF etc etc) was dealt with once we got here, or very shortly before our arrival, using our French address only.  I will contact the Hotel des Impots though and see what is going on.  Thanks for the information.

Fi

[quote user="Fi"]We don't have an old UK address!  We came here from the Netherlands, but at no time do I recall giving our Dutch address to any official bodies (other than to the notaire).[/quote]

They have probably gone to your address in the Netherlands.  Carry on and contact the HDI.

[quote user="Maricopa"]

[quote user="Fi"]We don't have an old UK address!  We came here from the Netherlands, but at no time do I recall giving our Dutch address to any official bodies (other than to the notaire).[/quote]

They have probably gone to your address in the Netherlands.  Carry on and contact the HDI.

[/quote]

Still don't understand how they would have got that address as we never gave it to anyone.  Not sure when the forms etc would have been issued but we had a post re-direct until the end of June.  Still, looks like another tedious session with bureaucracy - joy[:)]!

Fi

Fi - your story is very like ours during the first few years we were here.  I visited the office and was told why worry? etc

We eventually got bills and they weren't back-dated. We found out the house wasn't in their system as the last owner was a widow and was exempt from paying.

[quote user="Fi"]Still don't understand how they would have got that address as we never gave it to anyone.  [/quote]

I understand that when the acte de vente (which would have had your address in the Netherlands) was registered at the equivalent of the Land Registery, this info would have been passed to the HDI.