Moving to France

Hi

My husband and I are currently in the process of selling our house. With the equity we plan on buying a house in the Tarn area.  Any advise would be greatly appreciated, I have been doing research on the purchasing process but with all the information to hand I feel sure that there are certain areas that I should be concentrating on. 

My husband rides an enduro bike for a hobby so if anybody can also advise me of the 'law of the land' as it were I would be most greatful.

Thank you in advance to anybody that can help or point me in the right direction

D

Salut! [:D]

There's a daunting amount of information in the archives of the site - take a wander, use the search facility (although I'd probably just click on on topics that interest me) and come up with some specific questions. Any of us could dive off on a learned discourse relating to notaires, cooling off periods, compromis, actes... and we could utterly confuse you... or even just give you a load of guff you already know.

How're you planning to purchase? Visits and appointments with immos? Via the interweb?

As far as I'm aware, anyone in France is allowed to ride a bike as far as they like. [:P]

Hello Donna

As just said above anything you need to know has probally been discussed before , Just have a look at the past discussions. I went though the bying process last year , and most things went though quite smoothly , the worst bit is waiting for the house to be yours.

But if there is aanything I can help you with let me know[:D] 

Which part of the Tarn are you looking in if the south I have a few estate agents that i used who were good

good luck with your hunting sorry know nuthink about bikes except how to ride one [8-)] 

Hello

Thank you for you response.  I have to admit I have learnt more in the last hour just reading the entries than I have reading books!!

We are looking in the South so any good estate agents would be great.  Are there any areas that you would stay away from?

Regards

D

http://www.south-france-gite.com/property-for-sale.asp   hope this link works not very good at this

http://property.supply-me.com/

http://www.lacledor.fr/choix2gb.php3

There was another one in mazamet called Boyer but cant find his link at the moment , he didnt speak english but his friend did and they picked us up in the moring wizzed us to so many houses in one day we were spinning but he was sweet and we were sad when we found the house we wanted with another estate agent , but thats life.

We are south of Mazamet on the Tarn boarder , but cant think of any where in the area I wouldnt want to be (except the centre of Mazamet but it depends what you want , Town or rural) 

Hi Donna,

the Tarn is a wonderful choice. Kate (my wife) and I have lived here for the last 3 years and have just bought a plot of land here to build on.

That was a bit cheeky I know...but maybe the Gods of serendipity were shining on both of us when I read your post!

Regarding your husbands off road motorcycling, there are plenty of trails up in the hills behind our house - I go running there and see the odd bike and quad bike buzzing about.

Send me an email or call for a chat if you like (my details are on my site). Best of luck - we've found it a dream move and haven't regretted it for a second.

Best wishes,
Ian

Hi Donna

How is the hunting going ? One thing I would say is line your viewings up with estate agents before you go, as we found the ones who we just popped into while there treated us as if we were just holiday makers looking for some thing to do for the day (guess they must get a lot of that) We contacted them before we went with the properties we had found on there sites and told them to also choose others they thought we might like . The one we brought was one that we had already discarded from their site but he said he thought we would like it , so we stopped off via going to see another we wanted to see and he was so right we brought it. With notice they can also free up the time to spend with you. We met one early every day went around with them viewing until 1/ 2pm then had the afternoon to explore the areas for our selves. We actuallty wasted nearly a week looking at other houses as the one we brought was the 3rd viewing on the first day, but we had to be sure and it gave us time to go back to the village every evening and walk around before asking for a second viewing. It was so exciting ringing him up and making our offer and then waiting to hear weather it was excepted or not . We walked around all evening prowling the streets of our new village just grinning at each other after it was excepted.

Ian thats a great site you have made for your house it looks loverly good luck with selling it. 

Hi Pads

Hubby and I just come back from week looking around Tarn for a place to buy, lovely place isnt it, we fancied Mazamet but have been put off when told about the winds there, we called into tourist info and the lady there said its really bad and is getting worse. Have you any thoughts on it?

Pauline

The place we brought is just south of Tarn on the north boarder of Aude I think we must be protected on our side of the pic de nor as I havnt seen any winds out of the norm.......

But did see the results while house hunting around the forrest in Tarn lots of trees blown down.

It certainly is a loverly area and I think the old houses were built to be protected from the winds , still where we are we can drive there easily and come back at the end of the day.

What areas were you looking at ?  

• 3 weeks later...

Oooh can I but in here? I live not far from Mazamet and have done for some years...I really dispute this winds thing...We really don't get much by way of wind over here (north side of montagne noir)...I think the fallen trees that you saw were probably from 'the exceptionally bad and very unusual winter' that winter affected the whole area and involved a very heavy snow fall which combined with loads of other stuff includuding lack of rain the previous summer and a sudden thaw of the snow combined to overload the trees and it was devasting...loads of trees fell, electricity was cut off and roads blocked but it really was nothing to do with wind...

I love it here...if you want to see wind go to Carcassonne!