UK Revenue & Customs NDO Deadline approaches (New Disclosure Oportunity)

Théière

Surely this is only relevant if you have failed to declare savings interest or other taxable foreign assets in previous tax years. If like me you will be correctly declaring your first foreign savings interest on the 2009 UK tax return, there is no need to do any other than file the return online by 31st January like anyone else?

[quote user="phylisbide"]If you have a bank account solely for expenses and don't receive any interest on the account, is there any need to declare?[/quote]

According to HMRC, an offshore account is relevant to be disclosed if it is connected in some way to a loss of UK tax. So no, unless you are receiving income into it.

Regards

Pickles

I think Teapot's original post should have said "residents" rather than "citizens".

The UK (unlike the US) doesn't tax people on a citizenship basis. It taxes people resident in the UK, irrespective of their citizenship status (and some others besides, it's true, but not simply because they are UK citizens).

The link to the HMRC website uses the rather quaint word "customers" instead. Fortunately I have now taken my custom elsewhere, as I imagine quite a few others on the forum have too.