can I take a cheque and pay tax on it

MKT

Just a quick question.

My husband cleared my (frrench)neighbours father's garden for him - it was very overgrown and it started as a favour, then turned out to take alot longer than thought. At the end of it he gave him a cheque - its for a couple of hundred.

Can I just pay the cheque in, declare it on my next declaration de revenues and pay whatever tax they say is due or am I breaking some law here ?

appreciate any advice

Maria

[quote user="MKT"]Just a quick question.

My husband cleared my (frrench)neighbours father's garden for him - it was very overgrown and it started as a favour, then turned out to take alot longer than thought. At the end of it he gave him a cheque - its for a couple of hundred.

Can I just pay the cheque in, declare it on my next declaration de revenues and pay whatever tax they say is due or am I breaking some law here ?

appreciate any advice

Maria

[/quote]

Hi,

Unless your husband intends to make a regular practice of this sort of thing, I would just pay the cheque in, and leave it at that. If, and its a very big if, the tax man queried it, you can say it was a christmas present from the neighbour who is a good friend. Such presents are tax free.