Telling the impots you're leaving France

granddadjohn

We're returning to the UK (the pull of the grandkids!) after 12 happy years. We will inform HMRC when we get back, but how do I let the impots know that we're no longer in their jurisdiction. I'm sure there are forms to fill in, and of course 2009 tax to be declared and paid. Anyone been through this or know where to start. Local tax office just said to let them know the forwarding address, which sounds as if I didn't make myself clear! Thanks in advance

[quote user="granddadjohn"]We're returning to the UK (the pull of the grandkids!) after 12 happy years. We will inform HMRC when we get back, but how do I let the impots know that we're no longer in their jurisdiction. I'm sure there are forms to fill in, and of course 2009 tax to be declared and paid. Anyone been through this or know where to start. Local tax office just said to let them know the forwarding address, which sounds as if I didn't make myself clear! Thanks in advance[/quote]

Hi,

I duplicated this post, see below.

[quote user="granddadjohn"]We're returning to the UK (the pull of the grandkids!) after 12 happy years. We will inform HMRC when we get back, but how do I let the impots know that we're no longer in their jurisdiction. I'm sure there are forms to fill in, and of course 2009 tax to be declared and paid. Anyone been through this or know where to start. Local tax office just said to let them know the forwarding address, which sounds as if I didn't make myself clear! Thanks in advance[/quote]

Hi,

If you leave before the tax declaration forms are available , and you are not sent one by post ,you can download form 2042, and 2047 (if needed), at www.impots.gouv.fr, and declare your income received in tax year 2009 to your usual tax office.  If you receive income in 2010 before you leave, then do the same next year ,declaring only the income received before you left. You are unlikely to have to pay much, or any, tax for a part year.

Thanks parsnips, Filling out the forms is not a problem, we've been doing that for several years. I just wondered if there was some official form, analagous to the FD5 we filled in to become tax resident in France, that we needed to fill in when we left their jurisdiction. I can just imagine us getting declaration forms each year for ever and ever, or having to prove we are paying taxes again in the UK. Thanks for the advice though. John

[quote user="granddadjohn"]Thanks parsnips, Filling out the forms is not a problem, we've been doing that for several years. I just wondered if there was some official form, analagous to the FD5 we filled in to become tax resident in France, that we needed to fill in when we left their jurisdiction. I can just imagine us getting declaration forms each year for ever and ever, or having to prove we are paying taxes again in the UK. Thanks for the advice though. John[/quote]

Hi,

I have to say that a friend , who I helped with their tax, returned to the UK and was sent a french declaration each year , until finally I wrote to the tax office stating that she was permanently established in the UK with no french income, and that if they sent any more forms she would bin them.  That stopped them, though , in fairness , it was probably a computer that was doing it.

It's actually not as complicated to sort out as you might think. When I decided to leave France 6 months ago, I just wrote to the impots at the e-mail address indicated on my most recent tax return (providing my unique tax number which is printed on the tax return), stated that I would be permanently moving to the UK on the 17th August 2009, and gave them my new address.

I explained to them that I would still have French income to declare for the period Jan-Aug 2009, so please could they send me my next tax declaration to my new address in the UK. I also explained that after moving to the UK, I would no longer have any income from French sources. That bit is important, because it affects whether you need to keep filling in French tax returns or not.

It all worked fine, they just wrote back saying thank you for letting them know, and that they'd entered my new address onto their database. I know they've definitely done this, because since being back in England I've received a water bill from them, sent directly to my new address (not in the redirected mail).

Thinking about it, the people at the tax office must deal with this sort of thing all the time. There's a lot of Brits out there moving back to the UK from France, so they've seen it all before.