The world's stupidest bank?

bixy

They bill themselves as the world's biggest bank - I'm talking about C*t*bank. They are possibly the world's stupidest and/or greediest bank. Check out this story. Received a new credit card a couple of months ago. As usual had to go online to activate it, as I have done several times before without a problem. My OH had received her new credit card at the same time and activated it without a problem. With mine,  this time, apparently there was a problem and I was put through to India. I was asked to provide the 2nd and 4th letters of my mother's maiden name, which I did. I was then told that they didn't know what my mother's maiden name was. Uh? I was told that I would have to write in with said maiden name so that they could then check that I knew it. I know, you couldn't make it up, but it gets better. I wrote in with required information. In the meantime my wife and I both received letters telling us that our credit limit had been reduced. No reason given - we have never had credit problems. I then had a reply to my letter saying that the proof of address I had supplied was inadequate. Almost by the next post we both received new credit cards and letters apologising for the mistake and reinstating our credit limits. I went on line to activate my new card only to be told that it was already activated. Today, a few weeks after receiving the new credit cards, we both received letters telling us that our credit card accounts were being closed - no reason given. I suspect that we are not very good clients because we always pay off every month. they would prefer us to have a mountain of debt at some ridiculous rate of interest.

When you read the above chaotic story it comes as no surprise that our financial institutions have brought us to the brink of ruin.

What a bunch of useless w*****s.

Patrick

FYI, Cit*bank are transferring many of their credit card accounts to CC asset management company. In the process, they are closing many accounts they don't want, so don't take it personally. They did the same with their EGG card a while back.

I note that 2 of my UK bank cards have been changed from Mastercard to Visa for a "more secure service". Only trouble being it is impossible to complete the Visa card security check with a French post code although both accounts are at our French address!!!! When this was pointed out ,they couldn't find a way around the problem? Modern progress from modern management.

If the above is about HSBC there is a way round the problem assuming you have signed up for telephone and internet banking on your main account. Ring up the HSBC go through security code and press the options till you eventually reach a real person. Explain the situation and they should be able to transfer you to the call centre in Scotland which handles credit card registration. Explain the situation again to the credit card call centre and they should be able to take you through assisted registration/activation. They register then card and give you a the temporary password you must then change the temporary password on screen.

I believe that when you are asked for the extra level of security for unline purchases the first question is UK postcode so you are stuck in a loop.

[quote user="bixy"]

When you read the above chaotic story it comes as no surprise that our financial institutions have brought us to the brink of ruin.

[/quote]

Citibank is a US bank (and of course the US financial institutions - including Citibank and its sub-prime mortgage business - had a little to do with the current global economic situation). Apart from Citibank in Germany, which was sold to Crédit Mutuel.