Repossession or Bankruptcy - which is best?!

genghis24

I'm currently halfway through a mortgage holiday after 12 months of wrangling with our bank.

We now realise due to many unforeseen circumstances, that there is absolutely no hope of us being able to pay our mortgage again, once the relief period is over. We are looking now at returning to the UK.

Our house is also in serious negative equity.

If the French bank repossesses our house (most likely scenario) will we be liable for the deficit between mortgage owed and what the property sells for in auction?

Or is declaring bankruptcy in France more preferable - would there then be no liability?

Does anyone know the ramifications of declaring oneself bankrupt in France on one's status in the UK?

Do hope to hear anyone's thoughts, as just don't know where to begin and stressing beyond belief...

Thank you.

April

I cannot help you with your question April other than wishing you good luck with the future, my first thought would be to ask at the Mairie to be put into contact with someone but that does mean sharing your problem with everyone in the commune.

I would like to ask you however if it isnt too painfull, how one could wind up in negative equity in France (you could answer in the abstract) I had always thought that lending criteria were so strict that other than with a dramatic national fall in house prices negative equity was an impossibility in France, I dont even know if there is a term for it.

It could serve as a warnig to others.

Hello and thank you for responding.

Without going into detail, there was a period of time where certain banks (including very stupid/generous bank manager) were allowing debt ratios of 40-50%. We took advantage of the latter when times were good and are now reaping what we sowed...

I don't imagine banks will ever be this 'generous' again so hopefully won't happen to any one else.

Sorry I can't help - but having gone through a very similar situation with one of our daughters in the UK,  know how hard and painful it is.

Norman's advice and info sound really worth investigating. Bonne chance.