Buying a Marina Berth in south of france

Hello all,

I am interested in buying a marina berth for investment purposes only. I have researched buying berths but unfortunatley i do not speak french so this limits me a bit.

I do have a question that i have for anybody who might know. When you buy a marina berth in France do you own that part of the marina for good or is it some kind of investment in the marina or are you buying a lease?

Thanks in advance

I have tried looking into this myself ... what kind of berth are you looking for sea or canal ? All I can find is lease hold or rental... which means you can buy your spot and rent or sell it but its never really yours .. I have a few contacts if you tell me where you want it . 

[quote user="Pads"]I have tried looking into this myself ... what kind of berth are you looking for sea or canal ? All I can find is lease hold or rental... which means you can buy your spot and rent or sell it but its never really yours .. I have a few contacts if you tell me where you want it . [/quote]

Im looking into a marina called Canne-Marina in La Napoule-Mandelieu. This would be a private port that leads to the sea. I am really interested about how this works and if you buy a lease? I am finding it difficult in getting information on  how the whole process works and ownership side of Marina Berths in france.

Again any help is much appreciated!

My understanding is that they are typically sold on a lease of about 25 years though existing leases with a portion of the lease remaining can be sold on. There are sometimes restrictions on who can sell the lease  - sometimes it has to be offered through the marina itself (and commission paid). But there are brokers - try http://www.marineonline.co.uk/index.htm as an example of the kind of prices charged.

They are sold as leases and all the leases in most South of France marinas run for the same concurent 25 year period of time. Therefore, you buy the lease for the remaining number of years outstanding.

Even if you buy a lease, you are still liable to pay annual marina service charges, which can be hefty.

Unless you can afford a large marina berth, where the shortages are most acute, I don't believe that you are looking at a good investment because most leases available are too short term.

I think that unless you have a big boat (100ft +) you normally don't consider leasing. The reason for this is the freedom to move ports. There are waiting lists for most ports/marina's especially if you want a specific berth but in general we have been lucky i.e. applied for a berth and got one within a couple of months although I guess it depends where you want to be. We used to be at Port-Barcares and moved at the end of last year to Gruissan. We applied to Gruissan on October and got a berth in December. The other thing to take in to account is local facilities. The main reason we moved was because Port-Barcares as a village/town closes at the end of September, you can't even buy bread. Gruissan on the other hand stays open all year.

• 1 month later...
Qillan  -  can I ask what size berth you have? We've just taken a berth in Spain but would prefer to be in France due to it being closer (obviously...). We need a 10m berth which in our experience are very hard to come by without purchasing a lease. If you're in a 10m berth I think we'll be talking to Gruissan very soon!

Richard

Gruissan, you have to apply via the Capitainerie (tel.: 0468 75 21 60) I believe they have an email address as well but I don't know what it is. Normal thing, copies of all your documents etc. The current price is €2200 for 10M per year and includes water and electricity (16A). You will have to go on a list which we were told was a years wait but we got in much quicker than that. Its a good place with shops, bars etc open in the winter. I am told that Leucate has 10M places at present, nothing to do there mind you and they are perhaps a couple of hundred more in price. You need to visit these places, smile a lot and be nice, it works wonders.

• 1 month later...