Should I ignore tax return request?!

squidge

Hi all

It's been a while since I've been on here!

We spent two lovely years in the Ariege, and then returned to England to live back in November 2008. We gave the tax people our new address in the UK so that we could send in our returns for the relevant part of 2008, when they were issued in 2009. This was all done and tax paid.

I thought we would hear no more from them, but we've just received all the forms to fill in for 2009. My French is now incredibly rusty, and I don't really want to fill out the forms (and I'm not sure how I could anyway, as we were resident in the UK for the entire period.....). Is it usual for them to just keep on sending these forms out year after year?! Any advice?

Thanks!

Squidge

[quote user="squidge"] Is it usual for them to just keep on sending these forms out year after year?! [/quote]

Not if you have let them know you have left the country permanently. Did you fill in the part on the tax form where you tell them your new address if you changed address during the tax year?

[quote user="squidge"]Hi all

It's been a while since I've been on here!

We spent two lovely years in the Ariege, and then returned to England to live back in November 2008. We gave the tax people our new address in the UK so that we could send in our returns for the relevant part of 2008, when they were issued in 2009. This was all done and tax paid.

I thought we would hear no more from them, but we've just received all the forms to fill in for 2009. My French is now incredibly rusty, and I don't really want to fill out the forms (and I'm not sure how I could anyway, as we were resident in the UK for the entire period.....). Is it usual for them to just keep on sending these forms out year after year?! Any advice?

Thanks!

Squidge[/quote]

Hi,

I had a friend who had the same after returning to the UK , the first two years she sent it back with a note saying she was now UK resident but they kept coming . Eventually I wrote a fairly robust letter on her behalf spelling out , as if to a half-wit, that she no longer lived in France ,had any assets in France, or any other connection with France, and that the present ,and any future forms would be binned. They then stopped . I think it is all done by a computer ,and only if you write a letter will a human get involved.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi all,

For anyone in a similar situation, I sent an email to the french nonresidents dept, and received this back ...

Si vous n'avez aucun revenu de source française à déclarer aux services fiscaux

français, vous devez renvoyer le formulaire 2042 comprenant la mention "plus de

revenus de source française".

Au vu de cette déclaration, nous pourrons clôturer votre dossier fiscal.

I've got some questions!

1) I don't understand what the email is saying with regards to what I must do on form 2042. We've been sent 2042 préremplie and 2047. What should I fill-in on the forms presuming you were resident in England for the whole of 2009 and had no residence in France either?

2) We had a second-home in France, which we sold and paid some sort of impot sur la plus-value on (although we've never had anything official about that). We received the proceeds from the house sale in mid-Jan 2009, but I've just looked and the attestation is dated 31st Dec 2008! When we signed the Compromis, we were still French resident, but by the time of the acte, we had sold our main residence in France and had returned to England. Does this need to go on any form? (If it does.... there's a bit of a tricky situation, which would involve a brand-new post!

Sorry and Thanks!

Squidge

x

1. The e-mail says that you should write ""plus de

revenus de source française" on form 2042 and return it. Your file will then be closed.

2. As you have paid plus values on your house sale, there should be nothing more to do. As the paperwork you have is dated 2008 then it should have no bearing on your 2009 tax position.

Thanks for that! I'll stop worrying about the plus value!

Does that casually translate as 'NO more french income' then? Anyone have any ideas on where to write it?! In the 'Vos revenus connus' blank area? I can't see where else I could write anything.

Do you think I should send back 2047 as well - with no area filled in, just signed and dated?

General question - do UK residents send the forms back across the water recorded/special delivery?

I'll stop asking questions soon!

thanks everso muchly

squidge

My question on paying our french tax when we return to the uk, is, how, when I went back to the uk in April, I went into our bank, Barclays, and asked about sending a euro cheque back to England to pay a bill, I was told there wasn't any such thing now, as we want to close our french bank account before we leave, we can't work out a solution, any ideas please, Thanks.

We just kept our bank account open for a while after returning - it made things sush as paying the final tax bill SO much easier. It was easy to close the account 'remotely' when we didn't think we neede it anymore.

Thanks for your reply, sorry I'm not sure what you mean by remotley, also our account would have to be left open, till at least end of 2011, to pay for this years tax bill, and I'm sure there will be bank charges taken out of it.

[quote user="squidge"]Does that casually translate as 'NO more french income' then? Anyone have any ideas on where to write it?! In the 'Vos revenus connus' blank area? I can't see where else I could write anything.

Do you think I should send back 2047 as well - with no area filled in, just signed and dated?

General question - do UK residents send the forms back across the water recorded/special delivery?

I'll stop asking questions soon!

thanks everso muchly

squidge[/quote]

Yes, that's a good enough translation. I'd just write it across the 2042 form, and ignore the 2047 form altogether because that's for foreign income, and as a non-resident the French have no interest in your income from elsewhere.

You can send recorded if you want a bit of extra security, but I believe I am right in thinking that you probably won't get a signature to say it has been delivered because Royal Mail has no control over foreign postal procedures.