capital gains

woody234

how much capital gains tax do I pay if ive owned the property for 8 years and brought it for 40k in french francs in 2001 and sell the property for 60k euros in 2010, I rent in the uk and uk resident so my house in france would be maison secondaire

Are you resident in France? Is it your main residence?

If the answer to both these questions is yes then you will have nothing to pay.

If you are resident in the UK you have a taxable gain of 30,500 Euros, the exact amount will depend on how many full years you have owned the house.

I have assumed nine full years.

On basis this you will be required to pay 16% tax  4880 Euros. On top of this you may have a further liability for UK CGT depending on your other gains for the year, and the outcome of the budget on June 22nd.

You may be able to reduce the gains if you have receipted expenditure for work carried out on the property.

Are you saying you bought the property for 40,000FF in 2001 and you are selling it now for 60,000

yes thats the thing i brought in french francs in 2001 which I gather is 50,308 euros looking at my credit agricole mortgage repayments letter they sent me in 2003 but the total mortgage including interest is 60k euros for the total interest on a 10 year fixed rate mortgage but ive paid 8 years so far

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

You need to dig out your acte de vente and look for the purchase price on there.

[/quote]

...because that's the base figure that your capital gain calculation starts from. [;-)]

I think you're just reading off your Credit Agricole letter that was written two years after the date of purchase.