2010 French income tax: important dates

Clair

• 20 April to 5 May: despatch of the declaration forms.
  • 31 May: last day for the return of the paper declaration.
  • 10 June midnight: last day for online declaration for départements 01 to 19

(Ain to Corrèze).
  • 17 June midnight: last day for online declaration for départements 20 to 49 (Corse to Maine-et-Loire).
  • 24 June midnight: last day for online declaration for départements 50 to 974 (Manche to Val d'oise and overseas depts).
  • 30 June: last day for paper or online declaration of non-residents taxpayers.

source (translation)

Perhaps it's this Krusty, that I received on the 1st of April (!!!)

Madame, Monsieur,

L´année dernière, nous avons reçu près de 10 millions de déclarations en

ligne, dont la vôtre.

La déclaration par internet est simple, sécurisée et vous disposez d´un délai

supplémentaire.

Je vous engage donc, à partir du 26 avril, à vous rendre sur le site

impots.gouv.fr pour déclarer vos revenus en ligne.

Je vous remercie de votre confiance.

Le Directeur Général des Finances Publiques

• 2 weeks later...

Yes. A good % of us are in receipt of UK pensions. Like the Inland Revenue online form, the French declaration closly mirrors the paper form. If you've filled in one of them before, you shouldn't have too many problems.

Oh ... and the official exchange rate for calculating tax is :

£1 = 1E12

or 1E = £0.6999.

(I know... didn't make sense to me either.... why isn't it £0.88?)

p

p

• 3 weeks later...
Hello

Do people in the UK that fill out a paper copy, just send it back normal post? Bit nervous about doing that... but if it's the norm!! I'm not doing an online version this year because It'll be easier sending back the paper one - nothing to declare.... therefore a pretty blank document!

Thanks

squidge

[quote user="gyn_paul"]... and the official exchange rate for calculating tax is :

£1 = 1E12 or 1E = £0.6999.

(I know... didn't make sense to me either.... why isn't it £0.88?)

[/quote]

Given the amount of time and space that's wasted on this topic every year, it should be a punishable offence (a public flogging would be suitable, I think) to say that so-and-so is the "official" rate without saying where it came from.

It depends where you look. I email my local tax inspector and here was his reply for declarations for tax year 2009. If my sums are right this works out to 1.0866 Euros to the pound average for the year. This is better than the Banque de France figure of 1.1225.........................JR

: Le taux de change‏

******.*****@dgfip.finances.gouv.fr

Sent:Wed 12/05/10 15:03
To: *************@*********

Nature de la demande : IR revenus
Objet de la demande : Demande d’information pratique ou rendez-vous
Référence : *******
Traité par :  Contrôleur principal, 

Bonjour Madame / Monsieur

Monsieur
le taux de change moyen à retenir pour la Livre Sterling est de : 1 € = 0.9203 £.
Soit le montant en £ à diviser par 0.9203 = montant à indiquer en Euros.

Cordialement,
Contrôleur Principal des Impôts.

[quote user="JohnRoss"]It depends where you look...[/quote]It does indeed.  Until the tax service gets its act together, it will continue to be a bit of a lottery; if your local tax office (or the central office) gives you a rate that's better than the legal method or a "real" average, you're laughing.

I suspect that this question is too unimportant to justify a lot of effort by the tax authorities, so it just gets delegated to minor officials in the various offices, some of whom obviously don't understand either statistics or foreign exchange.  But as long as it's in your favour, and they put it in writing, why not take advantage of it? 

[quote user="allanb"][quote user="JohnRoss"]It depends where you look...[/quote]It does indeed.  [/quote]

If you look where here:

http://www.banque-france.fr/fr/statistiques/taux/parites-quotidiennes.htm

under 'historique' then 'livre sterling' you can always calculate the correct rate:

being the average of the closest to the 01/01/of the tax year in question and the 31/12/ of the same year.

This follows the permitted path for the calculation of the annual 'taux de change' if you cannot follow the legal requirement of noting the exchange rate - from the same source - for the exact date the credit hit your UK (or wherever) Bank account.

*the 1.1259 was the end of year rate for the calculation of ISF; which is what a lot of small tax offices 'understand' by the annual exchange rate. Which is probably where much of the confusion stems from.

Sue