Sell off some Assets?

Gastines

Now that the French State is about to sell off 1700 properties to pay for new expenditure with a percentage going towards lowering the national debt,I hope that Mr D. Cameron and his pal can see an idea that might help in the UK. A close look at the portfolio of the Crown Estates and the ever-growing National Trust for starters. You never know perhaps Prince Charles will throw in The Oval cricket ground and the Scilly Isles,freehold included.I don't think he ever paid for them.

The previous government was keen to sell off the considerable property assets of British Waterways, but this attracted considerable opposition. One of the last acts of the previous administration was to announce that these plans had been cancelled, and it was looking instead at 'mutualisation' - i.e. setting up a National Trust type body to manage the rivers and canals on long leases.

The previous poster might be confusing the National Trust with English Heritage, which is a government body that owns historic properties. Although EH receives considerable government funding, it also generates a lot of income from the properties and provides a service for other heritage properties, not just those which it owns.

A great pity that France doesn't have any real equivalent to the NT or EH.

[quote user="Will"]The previous poster might be confusing the National Trust with English Heritage[/quote]

I think not.  Or if so, the confusion is ineradicable.  The last time that we skated around this pond Quillan provided a link which spelled the matter out with total clarity.

[quote user="Gastines"]I wonder how the National Trust and it's ever growing portfolio of Stately Piles etc has escaped their notice. As most of these seem to have been "Gifted" to avoid Inheritance Tax and then have to be maintained by the taxpayer, it seems that this may be the time for someone to realise the country can't afford these grandiose properties, or at least so many of them. [/quote]

[quote user="Quillan"]If you want to know how the trust is funded you can look HERE in the FAQ but I quote the bit you are interested in as its not copyrighted.

Q. Is the National Trust Government funded?

A. No. The National Trust is a charity completely independent of Government funding. We rely on the support of our 3.4 million members.

[/quote]

[quote user="Will"]I think it is you who is confusing the issue. As a NT member I am very well aware that it is totally independent of government funding. I also know people in EH, so know how that body works.

[/quote]

If that is directed at me, I don't understand.  I am agreeing with you wholeheartedly, and contra the repeatedly expressed and misinformed views of the OP.