The pound is on the brink

Chancer

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/7711356/Europe-tells-Britain-not-to-ask-for-help-in-a-crisis.html

I must say I thought to myself that the EU official (Jean-Pierre Jouyet,  apparently French) who said all this has forgotten that - in 1992 - when we needed help to stay in the ERM none was forthcoming from Europe.   (Whereas when some months later the franc came under attack the variation convergence bands were widened from the tight 2.5% through the original 6% right out to 15%.    Practically any currency could remain within that band,   and if it could be done to save the French why couldn't it be done for us.)

I learnt a bitter lesson that day and I'm not surprised that Britain won't help with a € rescue fund.

But he may well be right about a market attack on the £ this summer.... and if it happens the IMF will be our only "friend".

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this a "bit of fun" competition or are you really going to base a financial decision on the responses you might get?

Looking back over threads like this should tell you that it is a total lottery. People will only report that they predicted the outcome on the rare occasion that they managed to get it "right".

No it's pretty much a serious question, of course I know it will be only quess work, worked out on feelings, we are going back to the uk in July, and will have our house money to change to sterling.

1.93, England will win the World Cup and the winning lottery numbers for the weekend are .................

OK, the truth is that its worrying times, we have not had a government like this since the war, we don't know what the 'emergency budget' will hold or even if the coalition will still be in place come July. So really things are so uncertain at the moment that I think you will just have to take what you get on the day, whatever that may be.

[quote user="NormanH"]Well they have only been there for two days and already the unemployment figures are worse than at any time since 1995....
[/quote]

Exactly and the temperature overnight in the UK has been the coldest for 10 years, they have banned Stansted from adding another runway, price of petrol went up 1p and you still can't have a fag at the bar in the local. Blinking Tories taking the country to the dogs, we were better off under Labour. Next thing you know some airline will have all its flight staff go on strike. I'm sure I saw somebody dressed in grey looking awfully like John Major standing on the lip of some volcano in Iceland (no not the supermarket) with a cricket bat taking swipes at smoke grenades being bowled at him by some old biddy who reminded me very much of Margret Thatcher. See everyone was right you just can't trust them. [;-)]

[quote user="NormanH"]Well they have only been there for two days and already the unemployment figures are worse than at any time since 1995.... [/quote]

yes, especially in the labour party, they got rid of 100 at a stroke![:P] hopefully more labour cronie quangos will follow!

Wish they'd stop having these ridiculous cabinet meetings, etc.  Look, pound at 1.1663!

Not only that, when they showed Messrs Cameron & Clegg (I mean C & C, sounds like C & A and look what happened to them?) in the rose garden in Downing Street, I thought they looked eerily alike.  Yes, just like 2 computer-generated robots![+o(]

• 2 weeks later...