Nationwide Internet Banking Problems

Doodle

Hi,

According to Nationwide there are 4 other french residents as well as myself who are having problems getting into their website. This has been going on since 1st June and originally I was told our address had dropped off the system. Since then they have tried to blame Orange but then yesterday they admitted they didn't know why it was happening or how long it would take to remedy even though they said 5 days originally.

Has anyone else experienced this that might throw some light onto the problem?

Thanks, Chris

Thanks for the info Sue,

I have read the thread but unfortunately I have Safari not Windows but the bigger problem is my knowledge of PCs is limited to not much more than turning the apple on/off!

Nationwide did ask what our version of Safari is and said that there wasn't problem with it. Guess I shall have to wait on their IT dept!

Chris

[quote user="knee gel"]Thanks for the info Sue, I have read the thread but unfortunately I have Safari not Windows but the bigger problem is my knowledge of PCs is limited to not much more than turning the apple on/off! Nationwide did ask what our version of Safari is and said that there wasn't problem with it. Guess I shall have to wait on their IT dept! Chris[/quote]

You might actually have a problem with Safari. As new versions of browsers are released they sometimes need to have software written for them in a different way. Companies will normally update their software so that it works with the latest or the latest couple of versions. Therefore, if you are using an old version it may not work with the current software.

Paul

[quote user="knee gel"]Thanks for the info Sue,

I have read the thread but unfortunately I have Safari not Windows but the bigger problem is my knowledge of PCs is limited to not much more than turning the apple on/off!

Nationwide did ask what our version of Safari is and said that there wasn't problem with it. Guess I shall have to wait on their IT dept!

Chris[/quote]

When I was using Safari on my Mac, I did have some sites which would not work - and before I changed to Firefox, I used to go via Internet Explorer.

Try changing from Safari to Firefox - it can take a little while to get used to it, but once you have changed you will not like Safari at all!!

And I access NW via Firefox with no problem (usually!!!).

If you need help in downloading and installing firefox, I am sure there are those on the forum better able to advise you kn how to do it .... like you I am an "eduated user".

Good luck.

Thanks for that Judith. Today I still cannot access NW so please can someone explain in very very simple terms how to download firefox and how to use it. Thinking about it maybe I should be asking this question in another section!

Chris

[quote user="knee gel"]Thanks for that Judith. Today I still cannot access NW so please can someone explain in very very simple terms how to download firefox and how to use it. Thinking about it maybe I should be asking this question in another section!

Chris[/quote]

Chris, it's no problem!

And I see from another section that Clair "manfully" filled in my gap.  Sorry, I'd have done the link for you if I'd time, but I'm pushed all this week, getting ready for decorators and in the throws of moving house with it, so only looking briefly when I can.

I hope by now you are back online with NW.

Hello,

Just to let you know that I have been onto NW again and am told that many of their customers have got problems accessing internet banking and I was told to send email! So guess what, as I can't sign in, I can't send an email, so I've spent 20 minutes trying to find another way of emailing them which I did only to find when I pressed the submit button I eventually got a message to say the connection had been dropped! Oooooh la la, patience is wearing a little thin now !!

Many thanks to all who have emailed with suggestions to get into the NW site.

Chris

So have you used the instant checkup utility and/or followed NW's own guide to accessing with Safari ?

http://www.nationwide.co.uk/troubleshooting/instantCheckup/instantCheckup.htm

http://www.nationwide.co.uk/troubleshooting/browserSetups/safari.htm

Also from a Mac forum another French user noted this

"Turns out this was a MTU issue, I've reduced mine down from 1500 to 1200 and everything now works fine"

Other research suggests the MTU to be a prime suspect.

But that has probably truly turned your knees to gel now [:'(]

Hi AnOther,

yes I have done both of the troubleshooting items you mention above in fact, it was via this route that I thought (ha ha) I had found another way of getting an email to them.

Re the MTU - this is where ignorance kicks in, what's that and where do I find it?

Re your last para - as the PC is upstairs and the phone downstairs, I'm up and down like a yo-yo so may well be rubbing in the 'deep heat' very shortly.

Edit: Thanks AnOther I think I am really going to give myself a headache now as I have just googled how to change the MTU setting on my OSX 10.4, wifi, da di da di da, oooooh la la!

I spoke to NW again on Monday, all the same questions asked, same replies given. 20 minutes later I am told once again that it is a problem with Orange and to speak to them.

Instead, I took the easy option and signed up for telephone banking!

Here's the interesting bit. As some of you will know from other posts, I changed my Orange contract yesterday morning. Whilst geeking in the afternoon, my screen was suddenly taken over and in english the following appeared;

'Livebox Software Update'

the software will now install itself on your livebox. During this stage the lights on the livebox will flash and you will lose your BB connection. After about 10 minutes the lights on your livebox will return to normal with @ light on to indicate your internet connection has been reestablished. You can then continue browsing with your livebox. (Red Triangle Warning) Please do not switch your livebox off during the update process.

Well I was quite impressed!

Even more impressed this afternoon as I thought perhaps NW are right, so I tried acessing my account and VOILA one very happy person and I hope this may be of help to others that are having the same problems.

Chris

I am surprised that none of you seem interested in the way our building society is managed and the way our employees pay themselves very well and then give themselves massive bonuses.

Meanwhile throwing millions of our money at sponsoring sports!

They will not answer me with a straight answer as to who gets the hospitality - I bet our senior employees are right now wining and dining at our expense in South Africa watching a minority activity.

These are the big problems with the Nationwide - supposedly run for its members - but actually run by and for the elite directors.

"my screen was suddenly taken over and in english the following appeared;

'Livebox Software Update' "

How very, very odd. Do you have any clue why the message was in English?

cf, happily banking with Nationwide & internetting with Orange (via Livebox) but accustomed to seeing exclusively French on Orange/livebox pages (English on NW).

Hi chessfou2

Absolutely no idea as to why the message was in english and agree it was very odd when everything is usually in french on Orange.fr. I would be very grateful if someone could explain the reason why.

Chris

[quote user="knee gel"]Hi chessfou2

Absolutely no idea as to why the message was in english and agree it was very odd when everything is usually in french on Orange.fr. I would be very grateful if someone could explain the reason why.

Chris[/quote]

I would think it's because you have set the Livebox to English Language setting.

Thanks Derf

You are right, I'd totally forgotten that I had changed it to 'english' about a year ago when having problems of one kind or another. Thank you for jogging the old memory.

Another mystery solved.

Chris