When travelling, how much planning do you do?

I've just had a visit from a couple of Australians. They're spending a month doing a French road trip, south to north, and began by visiting me using the train with the intention of picking up a hire car when they got here. They didn't check out availability in advance and, when they arrived, we discovered there wasn't a car to be had within a two hundred kilometer radius. I ended up taking them on a 5 hour drive to Carcassonne. From there they went off on their merry way with a book of hotels that I had given them and a sat nav. I can't help but wonder what they would have done if they hadn't been aiming to visit me first. Neither of them speak a word of French apart from what they had picked up from a few lessons on Duolingo.

In June I'll be making roughly the same trip. All the hotels are already booked and the routes planned with alternatives in case of the need to deviate.

So my question is, when going on a big trip, how much do you plan in advance and how much do you leave to chance?

I always plan the travel portion and the accommodation portion in advance.  Like Menthe, I don't like surprises and have had my fair share in the past.

I'm also fairly picky about various things, so advance planning is the only way to attempt to avoid the unpleasant.

As to the site seeing once settled, I do minimal planning and don't mind if things change along the way.

I always book fights, hotels, car hire in advance, after that I'm more flexible.

I think it's an age thing, when I did my backpacking year, many moons ago, I would arrive, find a phone box (before the mobile phone era) and find accommodation from my Lonely planet guide/traveler's recommendations. If the room had a hook or nail on the wall to hang things, and hot water, it would do. Mind, towards the end of the year, even cold water would do!

23 minutes ago, betise said:

I think it's an age thing

That's the strangest thing, both of them are in their mid seventies. I just think some people are born lucky. We arrived outside Carcassonne late Sunday night at a little hotel I'd booked and I sent them into the town for a bite to eat. Blow me if they didn't find a bar filled with Australians and Brits. They liked it so much they went back the following night.

Probably due to my work situation where schedules and time were paramount, I prepare down to the Nth degree as far as travel and accommodation is concerned. I do a little research on sightseeing, local restaurants etc. Although that nearly always changes on the day. 

As little as possible for a big trip.   A week walking in the Alps in January we booked a chalet for a week.  A 4 week motor bike 10,000km trip to the Arctic circle, Russian frontier and back, most we booked ahead was two days.  That included external and internal ferry trips, the joy of having a euro card.

Last year we did a 4 week, 5000 km Land End to John O'Groats motor bike trip including the Scottish NC 500.  We again booked two days ahead.  Bit of a panic on the NC as accommodation is very limited.  Ferries to Ireland and back to France again at short notice. Everything done on our mobile phones.  

We have taken to carrying dried fruit and biscuits as emergency breakfast an AeroPress coffee maker as we have had some dreadful instant coffee offered in F1s etc.

The most planning is done by my wife as to what she can possibly cram into the one side pannier she has to get 4 weeks worth of clothing in 😉 

I plan every part of any trip where I have to depend on factors out of my direct control. Planes and trains, car parks, car hire, hotels and routes are all booked and rehearsed thoroughly. Some of this is simply to reduce costs. For my short trip to a funeral next week I have fallback plans to cope with possible flight cancellations thanks to French ATC strike action. My moveable satnav is already loaded with several extra “my places” to help with quite intricate journeys in a hire car.

The only trip I have ever done when I didn't plan, couldn't plan was when I walked the Compostelle.

I had no idea how far I could walk on any one day and the municipal and voluntary refuges did not take bookings.  It was first come first served.

Only privately run hotels and guest houses were bookable in advance.

I felt that it would have been against the spirit of the Compostelle to book a  room in advance and that, to try and get "authentic", I'd better just leave things to chance.

Throughout the 5 weeks or so I was on the route, I found a bed every night except one and, to my chagrin, had to get in a taxi with 3 chance companions and asked to be taken to the next village along the route.

It was NOT a pleasant experience not knowing where to lay my head for the night but I determined to test my own resolve and ditch that famous "comfort zone" except I didn't find much comfort anywhere.

I suppose 'planning' has, by definition to take place if doing any trip. It's the degree of planning people want to do or can do that ensures they are content with arrangements. I'm ending up near the Mexican border in August after getting there by air to New York, via London; air to San Francisco; car down the West coast, then back again! The planning for that lot including flights, car hire and hotels has filled a couple of pages of A4. In short planning is an integral part of my life and I rarely do anything without planning it in detail, even on a daily basis. That may sound a little strange but I suspect most people also plan in that sort of detail without realising it.

"I rarely do anything without planning it in detail, even on a daily basis"

In this, we think alike.  I plan everything as much as possible.  I plan, whilst I am still in bed, what I will have for breakfast.  I plan lunch for the next day the night before.  That's not as daft or obsessive as it may sound.  There might be stuff I need to get out of the freezer to give it time to thaw out.

I suppose, with a husband who doesn't eat meat, I plan meals a bit more than I might have done. Some veggie dishes such as pulses might need soaking overnight or others might need several hours of marinading.

Then there are routes to plan if I have to drive anywhere on my own.  Without being completely sure of my route, I can bet my last dollar I'd get lost.  And no, I do not have satnav, through choice.  I still prefer to look at an up-to-date map.

Is there some sort of syndrome that describes inability to leave things to chance?😚

• 5 months later...

Sounds like everyone has their unique travel style! I tend to lean towards a mix of planning and spontaneity for my trips. For instance, for my upcoming hike in the Alps, I've booked the essential elements like accommodation and transport, but I'm leaving some days open for unexpected adventures. It's always good to have a structure, but a little room for serendipity can make for the best memories. And like Lehaut, I never forget to pack some essentials like snacks and a good coffee maker a must for starting those chilly mountain mornings right!

15 hours ago, alexandramimi22 said:

For instance, for my upcoming hike in the Alps,

Where are you planning to go, if you don't mind me asking.  We are waiting see where the snowfalls are before planning our next walking week in the winter.  Rather spoilt by the stunning view in Les Deux Alps last year, and are looking for somewhere new.

Thanks menthe.  Spent a week in Chamonix in the summer and went up the Aiguille du Midi, Mer de Glace etc, we should really go back for a week in the winter.  Will look into that.  Will have to be by car as the trains are still in disarray after the rock fall.

48 minutes ago, Lehaut said:

...........we should really go back for a week in the winter.

I would certainly recommend you do so.  We had a home there for 12 years from the late 80's until the early 00's and was my frequent destination when I needed to relax and unwind between tours.

On 12/11/2023 at 08:44, Lehaut said:

Where are you planning to go, if you don't mind me asking.  We are waiting see where the snowfalls are before planning our next walking week in the winter.  Rather spoilt by the stunning view in Les Deux Alps last year, and are looking for somewhere new.

If you go on the Alpe du Huez (next to Deux Alpes) website and look at the webcams, the snow has already fallen.

In terms of your trip, I would go the Vosges region. Gerardmer perhaps ? Loverly place for walking. Loverly place full stop.

If the trip is before xmas drop down into Kaysersberg in Alsace. The drive from St Die des Vosges (over the mountains) to Kaysersberg is one of the best in France IMHO. Stunning….in all weather. And Kysersberg is stunning.

The Vosges region is by far the prettiest mountain regions in France. There is much to do and visit.

I vote the Vosges.

Second would be Jura. Bit of ski de fond to enjoy the region. Or those snow shoe racket typy things if ski de fond is not your thing for walking across snowy landscapes.

Edited by alittlebitfrench

3 hours ago, Lehaut said:

Thanks menthe.  Spent a week in Chamonix in the summer and went up the Aiguille du Midi, Mer de Glace etc, we should really go back for a week in the winter.  Will look into that.  Will have to be by car as the trains are still in disarray after the rock fall.

Oh, YES!  I love those places you have mentioned.  I used to stay in a cosy but comfy and even a bit luxurious family hotel in les Contamines, summer and winter.  So walking or ski de fond....happy memories!

Looking forward to your photos, Lehaut.