Adding additional name to carte grise

CeeJay

Due to advancing years I would like to add my son on to the existing carte grise in order for him to seamlessly (?) take the vehicle over when I pop my cloggs.

Is this a viable option and what are the processes?

According to Service Public it's the same procedure as if you were buying a new car. You apply for the new Carte Gris in both you names along with a control technique and a justificatif de domicile for both of you. Once you receive the new Carte Gris, you have to keep the old one for five years. It can all be done on the ANTS website.

An excellent idea CeeJay.  We have both the car and the motorbike in my wife and my names.  She does not have a licence to drive the bike, but means she can sell it without the agreement of our children should I not be here.  

If its not done its not too onerous in families that get along.  Can be very difficult in other cases. 

Thank you,Dave.  Goodness, have no idea how to do that.  I can see why people pay a garage to do it all.

Even if I could work out how to do the signature,I doubt the old French purchaser could do it on the same form.  He thought we had to still go to the Prefecture...

It sounds worth it for 40€.  Many thanks for the info.

I think you're wise. To be honest, the only reason why I went through it was because I inherited a number of cars and the garage insisted ( incorrectly ) that I needed to get new control techniques for each of them. Also they didn't know how to do the Voiture de Collection so I thought I might as well bite the bullet. I must have made a mistake on one of the applications as it was weeks before the dossier was inspected by a 'supervisor' and the new carte grise issued. If it's just a standard sale, I agree it's much easier to get a garage to to it.