ordures menageres campagne.. (Household waste)

Le Scouse

Hi Guys,

Quick question. We are "mid-way" through turning an old pile of stone into a livable residence. It has no windows, no floors, no plumbing, no electrics etc etc.

We have gone through planning etc and have clearly not confirmed that the work has been completed.. we visit the property perhaps 3weeks a year to work on it (we reside in a caravan when we do) We do not generate household waste at the site and have never left a binbag out. We incinerate everything in an open fire.

Question is.. We have just received a bill for ordures menageres campagne.. as a non resident in the middle of renovations should we be paying this or should I argue it? Anyone with first hand knowledge would be appreciated

Cherers

lee

[quote user="Le Scouse"]Hi Guys, Quick question. We are "mid-way" through turning an old pile of stone into a livable residence. It has no windows, no floors, no plumbing, no electrics etc etc. [/quote]

Wow, if you are halfway through and it still needs the above it must have been in quite a mess

Paul

• 2 weeks later...
I've put one first floor in, complete new roof including rebuild part of a gable wall, got a mains water supply up to the house and knocked through two walls (solid 3ft stone ones!!) .. feels like I must be half way through by now ???

• 2 weeks later...
"We incinerate everything in an open fire"

What, bottles, tin cans, plastic, everything,

are you really saying that you have never ever put a single item in a

poubelle or used any other municipal facilities to dispose of anything ?

There

will be a reasonable and automatic and assumption that everybody disposes

of waste and therefore be liable to the charge which unfortunately it

is not based on quantity nor pay per throw.

I wish you very good luck in convincing the powers that be that you don't.

I think this is one of the cases where the facility to remove rubbish is available to you and the fact that you don't avail yourself of the service is irrelevent, you still pay into the coffers as the bin men still have to do their rounds regardless of who they collect/don't collect from.

Similarly the Taxe Fonciere and taxe d'habitation when you come to pay them  is not pro-rata according to the number of weeks you are in residence, you pay for the year and that's that.

Welcome to the world of Residence Secondaire!

Does anyone remember that episode from the Good Life when the character played by Penelope Keith went down to the local Council Offices, check book in hand, and started itemising what she would or wouldn't pay for before making out the cheque?

Hilarious and this post has just reminded me of it!

No, Not saying that at all, although we tend to eat out while we are at the house and yes, where possible we burn everything except glass. We don't use supermarket plastic bags, and to the dismay of many a cashier, I will regularly remove excess packaging from items and leave it at the till. The only glass we get is Coffee jars and these are used for my rusty nail collection. There is no bin collec tion from our commune. I would have to drive nearly half a mile to the "assembly point" on the main road and havent had to do so EVER in 4yrs.. I'm not trying to wriggle out of paying something i'm liable for.. It was a simple question.. I Just wondered whether it was applicable for a property for which we are NOT currently liable for Tax d'Habitation.. given that it is currently documented as UNINHABITABLE.. In essence it is a shell of a building.. not a household..

Cheers

Lee

are you really saying that you have never ever put a single item in a

poubelle or used any other municipal facilities to dispose of Anything? There

will be a reasonable and automatic and assumption that everybody disposes

of waste and therefore be liable to the charge which unfortunately it

is not based on quantity nor pay per throw.

No, Not saying that at all, although we tend to eat out while we are at the house and yes, where possible we burn everything except glass. We don't use supermarket plastic bags, and to the dismay of many a cashier, I will regularly remove excess packaging from items and leave it at the till. The only glass we get is Coffee jars and these are used for my rusty nail collection. There is no bin collec tion from our commune. I would have to drive nearly half a mile to the "assembly point" on the main road and havent had to do so EVER in 4yrs.. I'm not trying to wriggle out of paying something i'm liable for.. It was a simple question.. I Just wondered whether it was applicable for a property for which we are NOT currently liable for Tax d'Habitation.. given that it is currently documented as UNINHABITABLE.. In essence it is a shell of a building.. not a household..

Cheers

Lee

[quote user="WendyG"]If only a "residence secondaire" you should get concessionary rate which is better. [/quote]

Rather than "should get",  I would say "MIGHT GET", as the availability of a lower rate for holiday homes is not available in every commune (many will not operate this at all).

Regards

Pickles