International transfers from Credit Agricole

Mr Coeur de Lion

I do this every month.

I have to go into the branch and ask to make a 'virement Européen Externe'

They will do this once, but you cant set up the equivalent of a standing order to repeat every month.

Each time I have to go in and do it personally

I know of no way to do this online.

Not entirely sure but this should be available via "virements" However I think you have to pay an extra charge to be able to make external virements. You'll probably need to contact your bank. This is what seemed to happen when I just tried a "dry" run at this. Do let us know what happens because my daughter lives in New Zealand and it's not beyond the realms of possibility that, one day, I'll need to do this.

I looked under virements and it only allows me to send to my other accounts, not internationally.

Think you're right, an email to the manager to find out how to do this. Going into the branch to send money over is not an option, I need to be able to do it online, like I can from my English and Australian accounts very easily.

[quote user="Mr Coeur de Lion"]I looked under virements and it only allows me to send to my other accounts, not internationally.

Think you're right, an email to the manager to find out how to do this. Going into the branch to send money over is not an option, I need to be able to do it online, like I can from my English and Australian accounts very easily.[/quote]

Yet again someone living in France wants the services provided in another country.

If you manage to find out how to do this I would be grateful to hear how.

Until then I find it mildly insulting that the advice I gave (based on 15 years practical experience) can be so easily dismissed.

I repeat ' I know of no way to do this online' 

I have to go into my branch ( with full ID) to do this.

Well Norman, I apologise if you feel insulted in this.

In my experience, I have discovered that although some people find certain things impossible, others actually find out it is possible. Perhaps your branch does not know of a way, and my branch does. I don't know, stranger things have happened. But going into the branch if I am overseas is not an option. There has to be a way.

If not online, then perhaps via fax or some other method. There would be many French living overseas likely to require a similar service no doubt.

But I will be sure to let you know if I do find a way of doing this. I expect there would be a way.

And what's wrong with wanting certain services? Banks make a lot of money out of the likes of us.

[quote user="minnie"]OH just made a good suggestion. If you were to sign up to PayPal you could make a transfer overseas quite easily. All it needs is the other party to have an e-mail address. Just a thought[/quote]

Now that could be a last resort possibility. Think the transaction would be pricey, but it's worth keeping in mind.

For me going into the branch would not be possible as I bank with CA Britline - Caen. I have always found them so helpful. When I send them an e-mail they always suggest good ways of doing things. As you say e-mail or fax is a distinct possibility. Good Luck with this Richard.

• 2 weeks later...
Ok, have finally spoken to my manager and he says I can do it all by email, I'd just need (obviously) the details of the bank and account it's being sent to and the amount.

Cost is €22.35 plus the expenses of operations according to the amount of the exchange. Not sure what he means by expenses of operations, normally the only costs I know of are the sending banks fee and the receiving banks fee. Do French banks have other fees for this?

What I  do is  contact  my  home bank  and  ask  them  to wire  money  over  to  my  bank here, also CA.  I  give  them all  the  details  required.

Normally  I need  to  fax  them  a  letter  for this  or just  send a letter in the mail asking  for it...it can't  be  done  by email, due  to  security issues..

[quote user="Mr Coeur de Lion"]Ok, have finally spoken to my manager and he says I can do it all by email, I'd just need (obviously) the details of the bank and account it's being sent to and the amount.

Cost is €22.35 plus the expenses of operations according to the amount of the exchange. Not sure what he means by expenses of operations, normally the only costs I know of are the sending banks fee and the receiving banks fee. Do French banks have other fees for this?[/quote]

Sounds as if it can't be done on-line by you directly from your account  as with some banks in other countries, as I said before.

The €22.35 is an outrageous amount to charge, especially if you need to transfer €70 (my most usual amount)

I get a separate figure on my statement as a fee each time I do this by going into the branch. I certainly hope that wouldn't be in addition to the  €22.35.

Thanks for trying to sort this out anyway.