Taxe d'habitation

dessiedog

Receipt of 2009's TDH came as a surprise with a 36% increase (nb all figures exclude tv licence element)

The completion of some renovations in 2006 followed by the unavoidable submission of form H1 resulted in the TDH increasing from 435 to 712 euros. Last year saw a slight increase to 723 but this year it's 981. The only change has been the completion of a swimming pool which required a 'declaration de travaux exemptes de permis de construire' again followed by a request for a form H1, submitted in November 2008.

From the 'cotisation' calculation, with the tax rates basically the same, the increase is due to a higher 'valeur locative brute', now 5446 cf 4420 last year. Surely the pool cannot account for this 23% rise??

Has anyone else encountered a similar problem? Comments / advice appreciated.

Do you consider a swimming pool to be worth less than a rental value of €1200 Euros?

Unfortuately Hôtel des Impôts seem to.

I would be happy to pay that a year for a pool as long as someone maintained it for me and I lived somewhere warmer.

On a positive note you have nothing to lose by going along and putting your case to them, my TDH just went up from €245 to €781 but after a visit to the Hôtel des Impôts it is now down to €144 much less than I was paying before and less than a quarter of the valeur locative moyenne for my commune despite 99% of the properties much smaller than mine.

Chancer how did you manage that? I have visited on 4 occasions my TDH just went up to 1100 euros.

Along with the idiots mixing up my two houses and charging twice for TV licence, so I visited and made a declaration now saying only one TV in one house, a year later they are fining me for claiming no TV for either house.

My rates  thingies also went up to over 2000 euros - who's pension am I paying?

I am off to Angola.

Our last house (holiday home)was a small pavillion but with a swimming pool and the TDH was much greater than our current farmhouse with 3 acres but no pool. When we questioned this we were told that there is a high loading for swimming pools. Just our experience.

Thanks for all comments re the increase in our TDH for 2009. A visit to the Centre des Impots has to be the next step as a 23% increase seems steep to us. Friends in the area pay significantly less than us, again for properties with pools, not that we will implicate them. Just need to brush up our French - a lot - perhaps something to do over Christmas before our next visit?

• 10 months later...

I know this is an old thread now, but I was searching for info on how the valeur locative brute was calculated and came upon a few discussions on the topic which were very helpful - thanks to those who contributed. I eventually tracked down the nitty gritty of how it is calculated - all the details can be found in the code generale des impots, annexe 3, article 324 (especially 324T which tells you how many sq meters are added for each extra bath, loo, sink, etc). I eventually managed to work out how many sq meters my house is now deemed to have, after the improvements are finished, and the percentage increase roughly equated to the percentage increase in taxe d'habitation (assuming all other factors remain unchanged). I guess the taxe fonciere will also increase, although I've got a stay of execution with that for the moment (2 years, I think one post said?). Anyway, hope that helps if anyone else is looking for the formula. As to the magic coefficients which multiply the sq meterage to give you the valeur locative brute, I gather that this differs from commune to commune, and only the tax office or your Mairie can tell you what it is. Good luck.