Guidance needed please on changing over to French Tax system

Tom

I'm with ANO, steer clear of approaching the French authorities re your status and healthcare until you have explored all avenues in the UK - a worker's E106 - sorry, S1! - will be by far the best thing and it seems that you are entitled.  Walking into a CPAM with S/E forms all nicely filled in and confirming you as having healthcare paid for by the UK will save an awful lot of hassle.  No need at all to mention the fact that you're not actually putting in work as it may well only serve to muddy the waters but as Idun rightly says, you should certainly have this up your sleeve should the question arise.

The tax authorities here can, in theory, penalise you for non compliance and non declaration but in practice, many offices are quite lenient when you show a genuine desire to get into the system.  Don't let it give you any sleepless nights, just get all your ducks in a row and put your hands if and when the need arises.

Bon courage.

In the UK perhaps but recall that I did say earlier:

[quote user="AnOther"]whilst the initial qualifying criteria may require you to be performing at least some work in the UK - I don't know for sure but the question is there on the application form - I repeat that in my own case, now into my 4th year on a workers E106, recent enquiries to HMRC revealed that so long as I remained employed and paying tax & NI I did not have to spend any time in UK at all to remain entitled.[/quote]

Sorry I've been away from this thread for a couple of days but I think ANO and coops have covered all I could add. I would just say don't volunteer any more information than you are asked for to any tax authorities, UK or French. Just apply for your S1, complete the form very simply with Yes/No answers where possible and you should receive your S1 based on ongoing NI contributions. Then take the form with the supporting documents required to CPAM and only answer questions directly asked. Don't try to start with any explanations as there are clearly some complications to your situation that could have the average HMRC/Impots official diving for a manual. I think you will be entitled to the S1 and of course you shouldn't lie if asked.

Regards declaring in France that is very straightforward. There is a box on the French tax return for declaring your UK salary and tax deducted.

Good luck.

Greyman, idun, Another & Cooperlola,

Thank you ever so much for those additional comments. Brilliant stuff.

You have really put my mind at rest over this whole thing. As much as is possible at this stage in the proceedings anyway.

I have completely taken your advice on board & now have a clear strategy to sort this one out. Not the insurmountable problem I imagined it to be. Rest assured I will be careful in what I do however & will cover the U.K. side of things first as you have suggested.

I am hugely indebted to you all.

What more can I say? I just hope that in the future I too can help someone out as much as you all have helped me. 

Sincere thanks to everyone!

Best wishes, Tom