Vehicle/Road Tax?

Richard

No equivalent of UK road Tax in France.  However, for high polluting vehicles first registered after 1 January 2009 there is an annual 160€ tax which is billed to you by your local tax office.

No tax on importing UK cars and motorcycles unless they are less than six months old or have travelled less than 6000kms, in which case TVA is payable.

I liken the cost of the carte grise to a road tax that you only pay once, thus the cost can be divided by the number of years that you keep your vehicle.

The côntrole technique being very two years can equally be said to be half the price each year.

Having kept my car for 6 years my annual fixed running costs are now very low and work out at €178 per year which is comprised of  insurance and breakdown cover, half  a CT and one sixth of the carte grise, the longer I keep the vehicle the less (per year) it becomes.

I am very much out of touch but I doubt that I could tax my vehicle for one year for that in the UK.

What does and MOT and road tax cost in the UK for medium sized car these days?

Hi Richard

You don't say how old your fleet of cars & bikes is. In addition to the formal cost of registration at the Préfecture you'll need to add in the cost of a Certificate of Conformity from the manufacturer (might be 0 if you're lucky), or for classics the cost of an 'attestation' from FFVE, the French national classic vehicle body.

I registered a '68 BSA Lightning 650cc last week, FFVE had cost 50€ and the carte grise was 66€50. A friend re-registered his newly-purchased 1100cc classic car and the CG cost him 91€50. Gas guzzling modern cars cost an awful lot more, with the 'eco tax' on them.

To add to SD's post, the CG is now formally known as the 'certificat d'immatriculation' and it's made up of 4 elements:

1. la taxe régionale (local tax, varies according to the fiscal CV of the vehicle and it's half-price for cars over 10 years old)

2. le malus écologique; cette taxe concerne uniquement les véhicules les plus polluants, (national eco-tax only on vehicles deemed to be big polluters, can be up to 2600€). You can see the tarif in detail at for ex http://www.lot.pref.gouv.fr/particulier.php

3. la taxe de gestion du certificat d'immatriculation, (admin tax, 4€)

4. la redevance pour l'acheminement du certificat d'immatriculation. (postage, 2€50)

A useful site is http://www.carte-grise.org/cout_carte_grise.htm where you can tap in your dept and the details of your vehicle and it will tell you the cost of the CG

Hi Polly,

Thank you for your response.  Very helpful indeed.  And the websites I'm sure will be very helpful.

What we would be bringing with us is a 2010 Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel, 2009 & 2010 Harley Davidsons, and probably one additional vehicle (most likely a diesel).   What we are trying to do is figure out how much the vehicles are going to cost us so we can budget for that cost when the actual move takes place.

There's so much to learn, and at times it gets a bit overwhelming; but we'll get there in the end.  Just want to make sure "all the ducks are in a row".....

Many thanks!

Richard

[quote user="Chancer"]

Having kept my car for 6 years my annual fixed running costs are now very low and work out at €178 per year which is comprised of  insurance and breakdown cover, half  a CT and one sixth of the carte grise, the longer I keep the vehicle the less (per year) it becomes.

[/quote]

Wow!  My insurance alone is twice that - what sort of vehicle do you have and who is your insurer?

Vehicle 6cv fiscale, assurance tiers risques inc depannage, assureur is a web one Assuravenue recommended to me by Dave 21574, premium is €126 with majoration of 50% and zero franchise Thanks Dave [:D]

It is a risk with a locost insurer, my last one Ineas went belly up and I doubt that I will see a refund of my remaining premium, Dave warned me that this lot seem less than competent but it has worked in my favour, I had to pay €22 by credit card and then give them an autorisation de prélévement for the remainder of the premium which I did. Instead of taking the premium they instead refunded me a €5.46 discount for annual payment, perhaps they will take the balance at the end of the year, a bizarre way to do business [8-)]