Income Tax Demanded Twice

Grecian

Not sure if this is just a computer generated problem, I hope this is the case.

We have received a demand for another third installment of of our 2010 income tax, even though we payed the full amount of income tax for 2010 back in August. I have our bank statement showing the payment, so no problem there, just a lot of hassle I guess if the Tresor Public will not accept we have paid our dues in full.

Has anybody else experienced this situation please, if so is this just a 'computer error' and can I safely ignore the demand knowing I have already paid in full. Or should I visit the Tresor Public just to be on the safe side?

[quote user="Grecian"]Not sure if this is just a computer generated problem, I hope this is the case.

We have received a demand for another third installment of of our 2010 income tax, even though we payed the full amount of income tax for 2010 back in August. I have our bank statement showing the payment, so no problem there, just a lot of hassle I guess if the Tresor Public will not accept we have paid our dues in full.

Has anybody else experienced this situation please, if so is this just a 'computer error' and can I safely ignore the demand knowing I have already paid in full. Or should I visit the Tresor Public just to be on the safe side?[/quote]

Do not ignore this kind of demand for payment - if it is an error, they will probably not know about it until you tell them. If you ignore it, the situation could rapidly escalate to the point where they take money out of your account without your agreement, and if that tips your account over the edge, you are the one who will be forever having to try to rectify the situation. It is far easier to sort it out now rather than later. It might be worth while to sign up so that you can see your tax account on-line - I find this VERY useful.

Regards

Pickles

We had demands for income tax when we left France even though it had been paid. I called and they said to simply ignore it.

Well, I would have done, only I noted who I spoke to, the time and date and what they had said on this bill I was supposed to ignore. As it happens there have been no further demands.

As we had left France we couldn't look at our tax account, as we had been transferred to a sort of non residents account and the old things didn't get transferred over.

I think you will find it's a demand for the first (of three) payments for the last tax year (2010, payable 2011). They use the previous year's tax as an estimate for the tax due in 2011, and ask for one third now. They will make a correction in your final payment later in the year once you have filled in your forms.

I received a similar demand last week, exactly as in previous years.

Thank you all very much for your replies.

Mike, having read the tax demand that arrived this week again, I think your scenario is correct, that they are asking for the first of three installments for 2011 tax, for the tax year 2010, as the proposed payment is exactly a third of our total payment for 2010, 2009 tax year. All mighty confusing this tax stuff here in France. So I guess instead of contesting our facture, we will have to meekly go to the Tresor Public and pay it instead.

Anyhow Pickles after your suggestion of looking at our account online, I managed this afternoon to fathom out all the numbers required, and was able to view our account online for the first time. After deciphering how to get to the mes paiements page I was able to see that indeed our 2010 payment was listed on our account as paid, so I guess the above scenario will mean we will have to stump up the first payment for 2011 before 15th February to avoid the guillotine!

[quote user="Grecian"].............so I guess the above scenario will mean we will have to stump up the first payment for 2011 before 15th February to avoid the guillotine![/quote]

You are under no obligation to pay these advance installments, unless you're a 'business', in which case the situation may be different.

I received these notices for the first year and when I didn't respond, they dried up.

You are under no obligation to pay these advance instalments only if your 2011 tax liability will be less than 342€ or you are paying on behalf of someone who died prior to 1 January 2011.  Otherwise, as per BJSLIV, failure to pay incurs a 10% surcharge.

Read the'Informations importantes' on back of the tax demand..... [;-)]