Habitation tax, etc.

Blanchy

Hi all.

We have recently purchased a property near Champagnac la Riviere as a second home, and have no idea about paying the habitation tax, waste tax, etc.

The notary hasn't told us anything, and at the moment we don't have a mail box. How do we pay these bills, or get any reference numbers to register? Is it something we were supposed to be informed of, or will it be sent to us in some way?

The place is presently uninhabitable due to needing a new roof, has woodworm and rot issues, etc.

I will be renovating it over the next few years when I can get over there, so, nothing regular and I don't want to fall foul of legal issues or fines for non payment.

Any and all help is welcome.

Thankyou. 

Yes, the ‘banana’ is quite right about talking to the Mairie.

First off, to carry out the work that needs doing, you’ll need a Permis de Construire (or perhaps more likely, simply a Permis de Renovation).  Many French don’t bother with what they regard as such bureaucracy, but these people are daft really, because following the rules can provide certain benefits.

I’m out of date on the detail, but I think that you’ll have exoneration from Taxe d’Habitation until such time as you declare that the work has been completed - you won’t be allowed to spend forever doing the work, but 5 yrs would almost certainly be acceptable.  You’re going to need to be able to dispose of rubble etc, and they’ll be able to help with how you deal with that.

The thing to remember is that it’s in everybody’s interest in your Commune that a wreck gets improved to become liveable accommodation.  

Someone else may be able to correct or build on what I’ve said, but it’ll be no substitute for talking to your local administration. 

A word of caution. 

From 2023, the taxe d'habitation on primary residences has been abolished. However, owners still have to pay it on second homes or vacant properties.

Before July 1st everyone is required to register their property, used for residential purposes, with the tax authorities. The new reporting obligation is to enable the Directorate General of Public Finances to identify which taxpayers are still liable for the housing tax in 2023.

To register this information, it is necessary to access your personal tax space and select "biens immobiliers". Here you will be able to register the status and the occupation of the property.

I assume you aren't at present registered for tax purposes and therefore will not yet have your own tax account. If this is the case, then I suggest you make contact with the tax office, a.s.a.p. so as not to incur yourself with any financial penalties.

Just google Mairie ( followed by the name of your commune ) and the address will come up. If your property is actually in Champagnac la Riviere as opposed to just near it you're in luck as the website for the Mairie includes a newsletter from the Mayor in English😀

Thanks DaveLister. Some questions are obvious when you think about it and not panicking!!😁 Yep it's in La Boissonnie, which is a couple of minutes away from Champagnac la Riviere. The terminology they use is confusing initially.