American diabetic in France

I will be in France from May 2 to 15.  I have type 1 diabetes.  I need a drink called Glucerna every day.  While I can always bring powdered Glucerna with me, it would be wonderful if I didn't have to.  Is there a similar drink available from pharmacies or grocery stores in France?

Well, I’m sorry but I can’t offer any suggestions or advice re your condition or that specific medication.

However, perhaps the manufacturer of Glucerna might be able to offer some advice or help re its availability in France?  The problem then is whether it is marketed under that name over here and whether you can obtain a supply from the local pharmacy quickly?

The other possibility might be a ‘Diabetes Association’ here in France - they might well be able to help.

To me, there are too many question marks though for the supply of a medication (or something similar) that’s clearly important or even vital for you.

Taking it with you in powder form just seems the safest route .......... but, get hold of something from your doctor which confirms the nature of the powder and your need for it.  Declare it ‘up front’ to the security people - better that, than having to make excuses etc.  

Thank you.  I appreciate your answers.  I already have a letter from my Dr. stating that I need it, so I'll bring it in its powdered form, clearly labeled.  Over years of experimentation, I've learned that it's the only thing I can take before bed that keeps me from have extreme lows overnight without starting the night on an extreme high.  Sigh.  My carryon is getting heavier by the minute!  lol.

My post was not publicity. It was simply an attempt to inform the OP of the availabilty in France of the product which they wanted to find here.

For the OP's information - just Google the name of it.

Hey Timothy, why didn't you delete the original reference to the name of the product? Have you joined the woke brigade?

I suggest that you apply your strict rules more to removing posts advertising whorehouses, sex games and other dubious pursuits, which appear regularly here, than to innocent attempts to help people.

Inutile is the term which springs to mind.

21 hours ago, SusanGottfried said:

Thank you.  I appreciate your answers.  I already have a letter from my Dr. stating that I need it, so I'll bring it in its powdered form, clearly labeled.  Over years of experimentation, I've learned that it's the only thing I can take before bed that keeps me from have extreme lows overnight without starting the night on an extreme high.  Sigh.  My carryon is getting heavier by the minute!  lol.

I sympathise. I'm guessing, over your years of experimenting, that you have tried reducing, or splitting your lantus?

ssomon, with the info you sent me I was able to do more research.  I'm sure all I need to do is bring the nutrition/ingredients label with me to a French pharmacy and find a suitable substitute if I can't find the actual product.  It's not an uncommon product in France, and there are several copycats as well.

So thank you again.