The Curious Affair of the Sale of a Property in France

Gb

2 hours ago, Designer said:

Hi Everyone

I'm a newbie as of today, I'm in the process of reading the forums and I'd like to know which area Draytonboy was talking about with reference to using 2 agents. 

Interesting article.

The Charente Maritime.

• 4 weeks later...

Despite the best efforts of Credit Agricole to prevent it we completed our UK house purchase this morning.

Without boring people with a lengthy rant I will simply pass on something that we have recently learned - French banks have the legal power to prevent anyone from transferring their money to whoever they wish if they deem the transfer to be in their words 'insecure'. So if you want to move a large some of money from your account here make sure you can prove where the money come from, full details of where you are sending it to and what you're ultimately doing with the money when it leaves France.

Basically, living in the countryside has lost it's appeal so we've gone the other way and have bought a house in a decent sized city where we can walk to shops, restaurants and bars etc, I've even bought a season ticket for the local football club and can walk to the ground. We're leaving our children and grandson but as we don't often see them there wasn't a tough emotional pull to stay, we didn't plan to retire here but are moving back a few years earlier than we thought.