Property in disrepair and short-term lets management company is in breach of contract

Circle84

We have a second home in South of France (Aix-en-Provence) and issues with the management company managing the short-terms lets in our apartment for 2+ years is progressively getting worse, to the point now they are not maintaining our apartment and it's in disrepair. They are not adhering to the terms of the contract signed; i.e.  not doing emergency and non-urgent/property maintenance repair works (we have had to chase for months to get basic repair works to be completed, even after we accepted extortionate prices for the quotes), and they fail to send photos of the repair work needed, etc. This has been going on for 2+ years and we are fed up at this stage. Our emails are not being answered until we chase for a response for weeks, and my last email highlighted their contractual obligation as they now want us to take over any repair works related to water leaks through our insurer and have blocked the apartment and cancelled existing reservations until we manage the repair works ourselves through our insurer. Again when I highlighted the T&Cs of the contract the company manager has not responded. Any advice on this would be highly appreciated, as well as any recommendations to an expert lawyer on this topic

47 minutes ago, Circle84 said:

We have a second home in South of France (Aix-en-Provence) and issues with the management company managing the short-terms lets in our apartment for 2+ years is progressively getting worse, to the point now they are not maintaining our apartment and it's in disrepair. They are not adhering to the terms of the contract signed; i.e.  not doing emergency and non-urgent/property maintenance repair works (we have had to chase for months to get basic repair works to be completed, even after we accepted extortionate prices for the quotes), and they fail to send photos of the repair work needed, etc. This has been going on for 2+ years and we are fed up at this stage. Our emails are not being answered until we chase for a response for weeks, and my last email highlighted their contractual obligation as they now want us to take over any repair works related to water leaks through our insurer and have blocked the apartment and cancelled existing reservations until we manage the repair works ourselves through our insurer. Again when I highlighted the T&Cs of the contract the company manager has not responded. Any advice on this would be highly appreciated, as well as any recommendations to an expert lawyer on this topic

Sorry my friend, but this is France. Everyone wants to rip you off. Being a johney foreigner does not help.

I would never ever ever buy a flat to rent out for holiday rentals. You are just asking for trouble in France…..which you have just learnt the hard way.

Sell up, or put it back into order and enjoy your second home.

Dont go down the legal route…..it will cost more than the flat is worth. Put it down to experience.

Good luck.