Meanwhile in France

Ken, I doubt that you account has been hacked, otherwise you would have to log back into your account after each fake post.  Probably more to do with the quote function, and the ability to edit quotes and their coding.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ken said:

don't take things too seriously in life and certainly not a public forum!

Frankly I wasn't thinking of your sensibilities. I would have thought, as a matter of courtesy to other forum members, you would have done everything in your power to stop this 'pond life'. As you appear happy to allow this troll to post in your name I, for my part, will continue to abide by my new years resolution. 

6 hours ago, Ken said:

Yes, I do speak French though I consider it to be pretentious to do so on an English speaking website.

C’est vrai my old mucker.

An ex member of this forum used to try and write French all the time in their posts…..because they say ‘I am losing my English’. Although that particular member has the highest post count across all British French forums. Lol.

Anyway, I was only messing about. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Lehaut said:

Colour me stupid then.  The UK Government pension scheme has kept us in the life style we are used to in France for the past 27 years 😁

Colour me with burnt sienna…

Kids today won’t reach retirement. Either they will be dead through global warming or the retirement age will be pushed up even more.

Madness are pensions. You had it lucky.

Not having my kids future in the hands of idiots.

1 hour ago, DaveLister said:

Frankly I wasn't thinking of your sensibilities. I would have thought, as a matter of courtesy to other forum members, you would have done everything in your power to stop this 'pond life'. As you appear happy to allow this troll to post in your name I, for my part, will continue to abide by my new years resolution. 

I would have been surprised if you were 'thinking of my sensibilities. Not in character at all.

3 hours ago, betise said:

Ken, I doubt that you account has been hacked, otherwise you would have to log back into your account after each fake post.  Probably more to do with the quote function, and the ability to edit quotes and their coding.

You may be right. Who ever is doing it must have some idea with regards  'playing with computers' I wouldn't know where to start. Someone who perhaps takes offence easily when given short shrift, there are one or two here!!!

18 hours ago, Ken said:

Ken, I doubt that you account has been hacked,

Is in not just someone who has copied your name and cat photo?  Should it not be the policy of a forum that "names" are unique to avoid this situation. (to be honest I had not noticed that you had a doppelganger till you mentioned it!)

19 hours ago, alittlebitfrench said:

Not having my kids future in the hands of idiots.

Have started discussing pensions with our youngest, who has been contribution to the French state scheme for 3 years.  Having a hard job getting him interested in the subject though.  As you seem keen to take your children's future French pension out of the hand of the government, where will you have their contributions go?  The stock market controls my wife's, as yet untouched, UK pension pot.  She made it up by contributions.  As far as I am aware, one of the reasons the "idiots" in government stepped in in the UK during the most recent financial crisis was to prop up private pension funds (https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/oct/06/bank-of-england-confirms-pension-funds-almost-collapsed-amid-market-meltdown).

Can an individual in France opt out completely from the government pension scheme and leave it in the hands of their more competent father?

3 hours ago, Lehaut said:

Is in not just someone who has copied your name and cat photo?  Should it not be the policy of a forum that "names" are unique to avoid this situation. (to be honest I had not noticed that you had a doppelganger till you mentioned it!)

But both Kens have the same number of posts, so the fake Ken has the same number of posts as the real one.

• Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, alittlebitfrench said:

Will the real slim shady…please stand up…please stand up

How do you know I'm slim and shady? I could be fat and illuminated!!! Am I on the track of the 'pond life' perhaps!!!!! (only joking, you are too 'up front' to be 'pond life'!)

17 minutes ago, Ken said:

How do you know I'm slim and shady? I could be fat and illuminated!!! Am I on the track of the 'pond life' perhaps!!!!! (only joking, you are too 'up front' to be 'pond life'!)

I’m more Parklife…than Pond life.

You know wot I mean ?

Hey Ken, did you used ta drive a Ford Granada back in the days. ?

Around Camden and all that. 

I imagine you in a Ford Granada. Parming it around. 

15 hours ago, alittlebitfrench said:

I’m more Parklife…than Pond life.

You know wot I mean ?

Hey Ken, did you used ta drive a Ford Granada back in the days. ?

Around Camden and all that. 

I imagine you in a Ford Granada. Parming it around. 

Are you kidding! I couldn't afford a bleeding pedal bike let alone a Granada! Well I did , eventually, get a Lambretta on the 'knock' of course and then I was 'jack the lad'!

Rather than talk about the absurdity of ‘the real Ken’ or ‘the fake Ken’ (both fill me with horror), I though that it might be better to return to the original point of the thread.

A very high percentage of French citizens when asked if they’re in favour of the pension reforms being forced through by Macron say ......... “No”.

Not terribly surprising.  If I was asked the same question and I was (for example) a 50yo, I’d say the same thing.

Then ask ........ “Do you perhaps accept that the current circumstances are unaffordable on an ongoing basis?”

I just think that you’d get a different answer from the majority of people ............ if they replied honestly to the question.

I can only speak for what I hear and witness around here in (very) rural France.  Many, if not most, feel that the State will provide from taxes gained from ‘the rich’.  They don’t feel that it’s for them to contribute in any way, mostly to the point of evading taxation.  Deluded, frankly.

Don’t get me wrong - lived here for nearly 20 yrs and wouldn’t move back to the UK unless we absolutely had to.  But the French are really quite blinkered.

• Thanks 3

As we are talking 'absurdities' I'm sure everyone is surprised , but now' informed'  that the pension reforms are unpopular! who would have known that? Several weeks have now passed with it being the No.1 topic on the news channels and newspapers.  Still, don't get me wrong; I'm sure there is someone who was living in a mine somewhere who has just surfaced and needed to be' brought up to date'!!!

Is there not also a fear amongst the Unions that they must put on a show of force against the government?  I understand that France has one of the lowest unions rates in the EU.  I doubt they will win, but they must be seen to try to maintain their strength.

What I do find abhorrent is the fact that school children can also form a "blockhaus".  It happened to our kids Lycée where the students blocked the school gate with chairs.  The teachers were not allowed to pass this barricade, so no school.  Its happening at the moment too.  Madness.

• Sad 1

On 23/03/2023 at 09:00, Lehaut said:

Is there not also a fear amongst the Unions that they must put on a show of force against the government?  I understand that France has one of the lowest unions rates in the EU.  I doubt they will win, but they must be seen to try to maintain their strength.

What I do find abhorrent is the fact that school children can also form a "blockhaus".  It happened to our kids Lycée where the students blocked the school gate with chairs.  The teachers were not allowed to pass this barricade, so no school.  Its happening at the moment too.  Madness.

It's a cultural 'solidarity' aspect of France, this 'stick together' thing! It will be interesting should the Constitutional  Court say it is 'unlawful' to press ahead with the reforms. I think Macron would throw himself off the Eiffel Tower!! It is a way out of the impasse though and perhaps Macron would prefer that as he could then blame the court for not getting the reforms into law. Politicians are self serving and devious, it wouldn't surprise me if that happened.

It also makes a change that the 'hard left' is being blamed for the troubles. In just about any situation it is the 'hard right' which usually gets the blame.