Need to rehome my dogs

Clare Milling

I am moving back to the UK after 16 long and sometimes arduous years in France. I can't afford to buy when I go back and there are almost no rental properties that allow dogs in the city where I am moving. I have made the difficult decision that I need to find new homes for my labrador x and miniature poodle. Does anyone have any advice about finding new homes for the dogs? Most of the associations seem to only advertise dogs rescued from the SPA etc. in urgent need. I would love to be able to settle the dogs into loving homes before moving back. 

Yes, as betise has asked, tell us whereabouts you are in France.

Also, could you give a description of the dogs? Age, sex, likes, etc.  Someone might come forward to offer a home.

Have you tried advertising them locally?  Have you asked at your vet's?  Maybe a card in the window of anywhere frequented by the public (after obtaining permission obviously).

Would your mairie let you put a notice in their place? 

What a horrible situation to be in.

I would say Le bon coin is a good place to start.

OH is looking for a dog but the SPA tend mostly to have dogs with behavioral issues.

So if you use my OH as a benchmark there are people looking to adopt dogs but not from the SPA.

Can you not get them re-homed in the UK ? That would be my preferred choice in your situation.

Being an animal lover, I find the French attitude towards pets is not the same as mine….if you know what I mean.

good luck

Thank you for your kind responses. I am in the Dordogne, not far from Bergerac. 

A little info about the dogs. They do not need to be rehomed together.

Lilou is a lab/collie cross, 8yrs old. She is gentle and sweet-tempered. She gets on with most dogs and cats. She has lived with older children, but is untested with little ones. She loves walks and playing and having her tummy rubbed. She is obedient and understands basic commands. She has a tendency to pull a bit on the lead and does not have great recall if she spots something that she is interested in. She is really a lovely family pet. 

Hairy is a miniature poodle cross, 12 yrs old and more complicated. Despite his diminuative size he likes to think he is boss. He gets on with female dogs and tolerates cats (although he marks his territory when living with cats). He has to be walked on the lead because he behaves aggressively when encountering male dogs and is not good with recall. He can behave jealously towards other furry and human companions, guarding his food, toys, attention etc. He has a heart murmur and is on a daily medication. 

lilou sitting.jpg

Hairy.jpg

Lovely photos. You have wisely been very clear and open in your descriptions so potential new owners can consider the possibilities. We love dogs but already have our nine year old who would not be happy about a new dog and our future plans preclude taking on another animal. We are also too old.

I hope you find suitable homes for your two, precious dogs. I am sure you are aware that you need a much wider market place than this forum.

You could try contacting Les Amis des Animaux https://lesamisdesanimaux.com/contact/  

They are based in South West France, but rescue and rehome animals throughout France. They would try to find a foster family for your dogs, with a view to rehoming them.  They have a website, but are also very active on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/groups/313621008806233