Gary Linekar

alittlebitfrench

33 minutes ago, DaveLister said:

Looks like the BBC has backed down.

Statement from Gary Linekar.

After a surreal few days, I’m delighted that we have navigated a way through this. I want to thank you all for the incredible support, particularly my colleagues at BBC Sport, for the remarkable show of solidarity. Football is a team game but their backing was overwhelming. I have been presenting sport on the BBC for almost 3 decades and am immeasurably proud to work with the best and fairest broadcaster in the world. I cannot wait to get back in the MOTD chair on Saturday.

A final thought: however difficult the last few days have been, it simply doesn’t compare to having to flee your home from persecution or war to seek refuge in a land far away. It’s heartwarming to have seen the empathy towards their plight from so many of you. We remain a country of predominantly tolerant, welcoming and generous people. Thank you.

Can't argue with that can you ALBF

When he pays his tax bill I might give him a fair hearing. 🤔

No seriously, I happy that the BBC have apologized for him breaking their their own rules. I think the beep are showing great leadership😆

It will be great to see him back on TV giving his 1.4 million pounds a year opinion on…….football.   Can’t think of a better way of spending tax payers money.

Having said that, I have never watched MOTD once in my life.  But I am sure Gary is worth every penny.

The world has gone mad.

Like I said earlier about climate migration….give it five years.

1 hour ago, alittlebitfrench said:

When he pays his tax bill I might give him a fair hearing. 

He's appealed it which is his and everyone else's right, if you look at similar appeals by other well known tv personalities you'll see that they were all successful which shows that HMRC has probably got Lineker's tax demand wrong as well. 

37 minutes ago, DraytonBoy said:

He's appealed it which is his and everyone else's right, if you look at similar appeals by other well known tv personalities you'll see that they were all successful which shows that HMRC has probably got Lineker's tax demand wrong as well. 

Does Gary Lineker sit at home on his sofa watching the TV (with his migrant family) filling in his tax returns himself like the rest of us ?

Ummmmm…..ummmmmm……..ummmmmmm…..No !

He is far to busy twèèting on twAtter about Quatar human rights abuses. No sorry, Tory human rights abuses.

So I guess he employs a company to do it for him.

Either the HMRC is wrong or the company that he employs are not very good at maths or filling in forms.

Somebody is wrong but I am gussing it is not Gary. 

So I guess his accounting company or the HMRC deserves him an applogy too.

He is not lucky that Gary. The world is against him.

Edited by alittlebitfrench

6 minutes ago, DaveLister said:

Goodness me ALBF. What has Gary Linekar ever done to you?

Did you once nearly choke on a Walkers crisp or something.

To be honest (like ET cleverly pointed out)  I knew nothing about Gary Lineker until 2 days ago. 

I don’t really watch UK tv and I certainly do not watch football. I didn’t watch the world cup and had no idea he presented it in the UK.

This Gary Lineker thing just intereted me. So I read around on the subject.

Nothing to do with him…personally….just how society is falling apart at the seems with peeps like Gary running the show.

He is not any better than the people he is complaining about IMHO.

Im bored now 🙂

2 hours ago, alittlebitfrench said:

Does Gary Lineker sit at home on his sofa watching the TV (with his migrant family) filling in his tax returns himself like the rest of us ?

Ummmmm…..ummmmmm……..ummmmmmm…..No !

He is far to busy twèèting on twAtter about Quatar human rights abuses. No sorry, Tory human rights abuses.

So I guess he employs a company to do it for him.

Either the HMRC is wrong or the company that he employs are not very good at maths or filling in forms.

Somebody is wrong but I am gussing it is not Gary. 

So I guess his accounting company or the HMRC deserves him an applogy too.

He is not lucky that Gary. The world is against him.

It's all about IR35 tax legislation which is bloody complicated so a decent tax accountant is needed, any self employed individual such as a freelancer or contractor (be they Gary Lineker or someone earning vastly less) needs to be careful not to snared by this nasty piece of legislation which the government admits needs changing.

3 hours ago, alittlebitfrench said:

To be honest (like ET cleverly pointed out)  I knew nothing about Gary Lineker until 2 days ago. 

I don’t really watch UK tv and I certainly do not watch football. I didn’t watch the world cup and had no idea he presented it in the UK.

Nothing to do with him…personally….just how society is falling apart at the seems with peeps like Gary running the show.

Im bored now 🙂

You've spewed out your rubbish about Gary Lineker, so why not have a go at Fiona Bruce now - after you have figured out who she is, read around on the subject, and become an expert, of course.

Edited by ssomon
corrections

Suella Braverman has just stood up in the house of commons and said - DIRECT QUOTE

" Criminality and particular (sic)  drug supply and usage is now connected to people who came here on small boats illegally in the first place"

So now the people who arrive in the UK on small boats are drug runners.

Sorry Gary, it seems as if you still have some work to do.

1 minute ago, DaveLister said:

Suella Braverman has just stood up in the house of commons and said - DIRECT QUOTE

" Criminality and particular (sic)  drug supply and usage is now connected to people who came here on small boats illegally in the first place"

So now the people who arrive in the UK on small boats are drug runners.

Sorry Gary, it seems as if you still have some work to do.

She's referring to the huge number of young Albanian men coming across in boats from France, they've been recruited by the drug gangs that have taken over the supply of hard drugs in the UK.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DraytonBoy said:

She's referring to the huge number of young Albanian men coming across in boats from France, they've been recruited by the drug gangs that have taken over the supply of hard drugs in the UK.

Thank you for providing context. I came late to the debate. I'll take a look at Hansard later. I just hope the right wing press are as measured in their reporting.

10 hours ago, ssomon said:

You've spewed out your rubbish about Gary Lineker, so why not have a go at Fiona Bruce now - after you have figured out who she is, read around on the subject, and become an expert, of course.

Well I read it as requested.

Fiona Bruce seems to have acted in a professional and dignified way given the constraints that she has to adhere to when working for the BBC. 

Gary Lineker on the other hand !!!! You can’t say he acts professionally with his tweeting.

The only thing for me is that Refuge should have prevented her from stepping down. She did not have to step down IMHO. She will be a great loss.

Everything in the UK these days seems to come back to one particular family. And they all seem to get off scott free.

18 hours ago, alittlebitfrench said:

Im bored now 🙂

Well, now that you are bored, perhaps you will find some other topic and/or members to be interested in?😄

I’ve viewed this thread for several days and (understandably), most of it has seemed to revolve around whether GL is a good bloke or a bad bloke.

The issue, which few of us can disagree with you’d think, is that uncontrolled immigration in to the UK is unsustainable.

You could argue forever the reasons for people wanting to make the the UK their ‘final destination’.  Soft touch?  Personally, I’m inclined to think so.

However ............ you’d think, wouldn’t you, that the combined strength and intelligence gathering capability of the French & UK Security Services would be able to identify and shut down the people traffickers?  They have the powers to act - just let them loose.

Yes, I appreciate that the ‘bad guys’ are multi-national, across several continents, but this is a nettle that has to be grasped.  Take them out and you’re some way towards solving the problem.

• Like 1

It's interesting that people have widely different feelings about immigration.

The aftermath of Brexit and Covid has meant fewer EU working migrants in UK which has led to pleas from the agriculture industry, healthcare and hospitality for immigration rules to be relaxed, yesterday job vacancies number whilst showing a slight fall is still historically very high which is affecting the economy.

At the same time, there is a growing clamour (fuelled by the media) for action on the 'small boats' crossing the Channel daily which is why the government is introducing their daft legislation. Clearly some on here agree that the government need to act and act fast.

One of the ironies for me is that no one is complaining about the 160K Ukrainian refugees now in the UK many of whom could well settle permanently, could the colour of their skin be a factor? 

Ultimately the UK needs immigrants and I've no doubt that many migrants sitting in hotels at the taxpayers expense could work and actually want to work but unfortunately the asylum processing system is broken and fixing that is the starting point to properly controlling immigration.  

1 hour ago, DraytonBoy said:

It's interesting that people have widely different feelings about immigration.

The aftermath of Brexit and Covid has meant fewer EU working migrants in UK which has led to pleas from the agriculture industry, healthcare and hospitality for immigration rules to be relaxed, yesterday job vacancies number whilst showing a slight fall is still historically very high which is affecting the economy.

At the same time, there is a growing clamour (fuelled by the media) for action on the 'small boats' crossing the Channel daily which is why the government is introducing their daft legislation. Clearly some on here agree that the government need to act and act fast.

One of the ironies for me is that no one is complaining about the 160K Ukrainian refugees now in the UK many of whom could well settle permanently, could the colour of their skin be a factor? 

Ultimately the UK needs immigrants and I've no doubt that many migrants sitting in hotels at the taxpayers expense could work and actually want to work but unfortunately the asylum processing system is broken and fixing that is the starting point to properly controlling immigration.  

Personally speaking, I love multiculturalism. I like the idea where everyone living in my street, village, town is from a different background or country. It makes great conversation and food. 

And I remember reading in the New York Times an article that said that the UK or especially London was a example to the world of integration. I was on the South Bank in London with the kids a few weeks back and it was a fantastic vibe of multiculturalism working. It was cool.

The problem is, the UK has become a victim of its own success. There are just too many people. It unsustainable. The resources needed (water, food, healthcare) to sustain such a growing population can’t be provided. It is impossible. Especially with climate change. The UK will sink. Look, both the UK and France have a water shortage problem, and it is only March.

I would go back to the UK in an instant if it were not for the fact that there are just too many people. It is over bearing.

You can understand why the UK is such an attraction. Most if not the majority of UK peeps are tolerant and accepting. So Gary is talking out of his arsë. The government needs to set limits. It is not racism. It is just pure economics.