Jacuzzi water waste

akp

I have a jacuzzi on a balcony in an apartment block.

the syndic are refusing to allow me to run the waste water into the  Downpipe 

are they legally correct if so how do jacuzzi owners get rid of their water waste ?

thank you 

k

9 hours ago, ssomon said:

Are you referring to the downpipe for rainwater from the roof gutter?

If so, this is not allowed, as the downpipe is for rain water, which has to be drained away on private land or on the road.

Dumping waste water from a jacuzzi or spa into this system is a health hazard.

It must be disposed of via the sewage system.

https://www.ligne-spa.fr/comment-vider-et-hiverner-un-spa/

I hope your balcony is strong enough to support a full jacuzzi, which can weigh between 1.5 and 4 tons.

Recently a grossly overloaded balcony fell off an apartment, I believe it was in Narbonne.

Could be quite exciting if one were in the tub 🙄

2 hours ago, ssomon said:

I hope your balcony is strong enough to support a full jacuzzi, which can weigh between 1.5 and 4 tons.

A very good point.  The regulations for our apartment specifically mention not over loading the designed support weight for floors etc (sadly without saying what this is, but expecting you to either use your common sense or get expert advice)

I believe that multi story car parks built in the 70's used much smaller cars for their support capabilities.  However, with car sizes increasing, weight of electric cars and SUVs,  perhaps one of these is the next to collapse?

Whilst looking for a holiday apartment around  Roses we visited one in one of the largest, and oldest, blocks there about20 years ago. 

There was notice board for residents in the entrance hall, affixed to which was notice advising them that it was forbidden to re-tile their apartments by laying new tiles over the old, as the building was becoming overloaded.

Yes indeed, ssomon, loading  on floors, roofs, balconies, etc is actually a very interesting subject and structural engineers are often engaged to look at these things.

I agree that water is heavy.  I know from having to carry water for long hikes that 1 litre weighs 1 kilo!

It's not just jacuzzis that could cause problems, water beds can too.  Some decades ago water beds became the "must have" item in some UK homes.  And guess what, many water beds had to be got rid of when supporting floor beams began to deflect.

Another error that owners of older properties might make is that of replacing old slate roofs with terracotta tiles or modern concrete tiles.  Both of the latter materials weigh more than slate and, unless additional bracing and supports with the roof carpentry are put in place, you could end up with a collapsing roof.