So, after moving to France, what do you list as your first real success?

Not totally sure as it has been a while.  Lots of small things, but the one thing that stands out for me was mastering telephone conversations in French.  Face to face was far easier for me than phone conversations.  Also singing the lyrics to French songs. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, betise said:

Being asked to be on the council, passing my driving test, becoming a pompier (can I have 3 things)?

OK, that's all impressive but you can't honestly say you did all those things straight away ( can you? ). I was looking for the little thing that gave you a sense that "yes I can do this"

Came over in 2003 on a trip to view houses etc. (Moved here in 2004) - minor first success, but ordering two coffees and a box of café crème cigars at Charles de Gaulle airport upon arrival - in the first French that I had spoken to a real French person ever - and receiving said articles - result! Never did a coffee and cigar taste so good😊

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DaveLister said:

OK, that's all impressive but you can't honestly say you did all those things straight away ( can you? ). I was looking for the little thing that gave you a sense that "yes I can do this"

OK then, working out which way to sit on the bidet ?

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Having our neighbour turning up at our front door in tears asking us to look after her grand daughter.  She (the grandmother) had to go to hospital urgently  Our eldest, at 3, was in the grand daughter's  class at the school at the bottom of our garden.  The fact that she came to us rather than others in the village who she had known all her life made us feel we had been accepted by the community. 

• Like 3

On 05/03/2023 at 18:43, alittlebitfrench said:

How do you stay away from anything English in France ?

On 06/03/2023 at 06:53, Ken said:

Live in the Pays Basque, none down here that I know of anyway!

Not even LFBEUSTON?

• Haha 1