Complete France Forum

This surprised me

DaveLister

Yes, I read the same article.  They seem to try everything to gouge the customer.  My favourite is the "prix choc" packaging of 4 articles together that actually cost more than buying the  same 4 items separately.  The other is to have the same article in the catalogue at a special price.  You must only buy it from the display with the special price, the normal shelf will have the old, higher price.

It is also your responsibility to check the bar code showing the price on the shelf is the same as the bar code on the article you have bought (people swop them round for "fun" I was told at Carrefour) when I disputed a price at the checkout.

caveat emptor

• Like 1

Last year I was caught by exactly that price anomaly. It was in Sainsbury’s in Farnham! I had picked two, identical items from different displays and assumed they were the same, low price but the receipt showed one at the low price and the other at the normal price. 
  It seems to be a widespread ploy or just a problem with computer programming.

It's one of the reasons I got rid of my loyalty cards (as they all went electronic and had to be paid for) and now shop around depending where I physically am when I need to stop  .. and I gave up looking at the catalogues long ago.  If it's a price I am prepared to pay and need it, it gets bought, if not it stays on the shelf!  It ain't a bargain if you didn't need it in the first place!