Controle Technique

SteveB

Hi.

I have a feeling my old Corsa will fail it's upcoming CT - the engine warning light is on, and the fault code indicates the fuel mixture is out of spec. As I understand it, the "contre-visite" needs to be done within 2 months of the original.

I have two questions:

a) Will the car automatically fail because the engine light is on, even if the emissions are within the numbers allowed for that car, and

b) In this situation (ie not a major safety fault) can one (legally) drive the car during that 2 months before the contre-visite?

Many thanks for any help.

1 hour ago, SteveB said:

Hi.

I have a feeling my old Corsa will fail it's upcoming CT - the engine warning light is on, and the fault code indicates the fuel mixture is out of spec. As I understand it, the "contre-visite" needs to be done within 2 months of the original.

I have two questions:

a) Will the car automatically fail because the engine light is on, even if the emissions are within the numbers allowed for that car, and

b) In this situation (ie not a major safety fault) can one (legally) drive the car during that 2 months before the contre-visite?

Many thanks for any help.

The only person to answer is the CT centre, I suggest you visit and ask them

les défaillances mineures, qui n’entraînent aucune obligation

les défaillances majeures, qui entraînent une contre-visite

les défaillances critiques, qui entraînent une interdiction de circuler

minor failures, which do not give rise to any obligation for a return visit                                                                                     major failures, which lead to a return visit                                                                                                                                     critical failures, which lead to a traffic ban

l

"I have two questions:

b) In this situation (ie not a major safety fault) can one (legally) drive the car during that 2 months before the contre-visite?"

As the french CT test is largely based on the same criteria as the UK mot test - ie they both have their roots in EU diktats.

a) An engine MIL light on is a major fail. 

b) If the fault is just a major fail and not a dangerous condition you should be able to drive the car in france for the 2 month period of "grace"

Defect Category
(a) Smoke opacity levels exceed the manufacturer’s specified limit Major
(b) Smoke opacity levels exceed default limit Major
(c) Exhaust emits excessive smoke or vapour of any colour to an extent likely to obscure the vision of other road users Dangerous
(d) Exhaust on a vehicle fitted with a diesel particulate filter emits visible smoke of any colour Major
(e) Emissions test unable to be completed Major
(f) Emissions test not completed because smoke levels are significantly in excess of the specified limit values Major
(g) Engine MIL inoperative or indicating a malfunction Major

From the UK MOT tester's manual.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspection-manual-for-private-passenger-and-light-commercial-vehicles/8-nuisance

• Like 1

You will not be able to get away with that - the tester will look to check that the MIL light comes on when the ignition switch is turned on and goes out almost immediately before starting the engine. It's the car's self check on the correct operation of the MIL.

Thanks guys. Useful responses. I can actually get the MIL off by clearing the fault codes - it then takes several miles (sometimes 50+) for it to come on again. Goodness knows what the emissions are in that time when the engine is optimising itself!! I might try it (but I will correct the fault on the following trip down when I can bring some tools).