Ripage

NickP

A question to the language experts on this forum, I was looking at my car files and I noticed on my latest CT certificate a Defaillances mineures: Ripage excessif. I looked in my French /English dictionaries and could not find the word Ripage, I looked on line and the only explanation was slippage, which maybe so, but doesn't explain what of. Any ideas you clever people. Thanks in advance.

It refers to the parallelism of the wheel which, accordingly, is out of kilter and requires adjustment. Be careful with whom you select to carry out the work. 'Speedy`made a complete hash off one of mine vehicles, which resulted in a new set of tires having to be fitted. Not by them, I might add.

Setting tyre alignement, geometry and parallelism ...

• Like 1

22 hours ago, alittlebitfrench said:

Cajal is quite correct.

It refers to Parallism….i.e the alignment of the wheels.

Our wheels get out of alignment all the time due to pot holes, fecking speed humps..dead hedgehogs.

No big deal except it will **** your tyres eventually.

There's a lot more to it than that.

Most cars 20 years ago used to run very slight toe in settings of 1/6 of inch or so. 

Toe in gives a little more steering stability - the car will have more of a tendency to hold the line you are steering, but will show slightly less eagerness to turn-in to a bend.

No toe in or slight toe out will make the steering fidgety ie slight steering corrections will be constantly needed but the turn - in to a bend will be slightly more enthusiastic.

Now I notice that our two newish cars are set up to be parallel ie no toe in or out. 

This is done to reduce the tiny amount of drag that toe-in will cause, to enhance the official mpg and CO2 figures.

Toe in/out is just one of the many settings of suspension geometry, there are many others that can affect handling and steering.

https://low-offset.com/workshop/car-suspension-geometry-explained/

Edited by Harnser
stupid spelling mistake
  • Thanks 1

I had ripage as a minor fault also on the last CT I did for the car I have now sold .. I never did find out what it was, and thought it might be something to do with a slipping clutch (I had problems with day one with that car with the clutch as it caught far too high for me, and I was never able to get them to change it).  So now I know!.