Chronpost import tax

mazandcol

Good morning, I wasn't sure where to put this but have opted for 'Legal'.

I am expecting something to be delivered from the UK.  This morning I had a facture via email from Chronopost for paiement de droits et taxes of 8.50 euros.  I went to pay online (because I want the item) but it stated clearly that there was '0' tax due but the 8.50 is the admin charge plus TVA.

Has anyone else come across this - being charged simply for the admin of calculating that no tax is actually due?

Yes - That's about par for the course - Chronopost are the importing "agent" so they administer the import and charge you for the privilege. And they don't usually allow you to pay online - you pay your postie either cash or cheque.

If you want to avoid this try to buy from UK businesses that ship using "delivery duty paid"  - DDP for short or the EU "import one stop shop" system -  IOSS.

With DDP or IOSS you pay the UK supplier delivery, vat and import tax if applicable and it's delivered to you without any further charges - if the deliverer tries to charge you, complain to the supplier to get your money back.

Mazandcol, indeed Harnser has explained in full.

I have found Chronopost to be a terrible provider of parcel transport.  Years and years ago, I managed to get the mighty Marks & Spencers to stop using their services!

There is always something and I have experienced at least 2 occasions that I am aware of where they have failed completely to deliver my parcels.

Must say that since Brexit, some parcels from the UK have a degree of uncertainty attached, even parcels sent by Amazon who are usually reliable and you know in advance if there will be fees.

Last year I had a parcel sent by Amazon from the UK where there weren't supposed to be any further charges to me.  The facteur asked for 9 euros so I refused the parcel.  Took me ages to get my money back.

I am unsure how to avoid this sort of stuff so I have stopped ordering things from the UK.

Were you expecting the delivery from UK?

I am a tad suspicious of the post that Mazandcol received because there have been fake Chronopost mails about; there is even one on my phone today. Could you check with your postie to see if you can pay them direct? Happy to be corrected if anyone has paid online already

Hi everybody and thanks for your comments.

Yes, I was expecting the delivery and it is legit - they quoted the order, the sender etc etc - I was just surprised I was charged even though there was no tax due, so thanks for explaining Harnser. I have paid online and received a receipt via email, followed by a confirmation of delivery date.

I always try to buy from French suppliers first (especially after Brexit) and I tried everywhere for ages but not available at all in France. I also tried to find different suppliers in UK, but they were the only ones who would send to France. Now I know if I ever used them again I need to add 8.50 to the price.

6 hours ago, mazandcol said:

I always try to buy from French suppliers first

Likewise.

If what I require is not available or the seller is based in the UK I google the product with the prefix of either Germany, Italy, or Ireland.

I recently bought a Humax Freesat box for Mrs c's office.  As Humax and Freesat had parted company in 2019 I looked at Amazon fr and ebay fr for refurbs. They both had a good selection, but unfortunately they were all being shipped from the UK. Not to be defeated, I googled Humax UK Freesat Ireland. Success.

I ultimately bought one from a company which is actually based in N. Ireland. No import or duty charges.👍

10 hours ago, cajal said:

Likewise.

If what I require is not available or the seller is based in the UK I google the product with the prefix of either Germany, Italy, or Ireland.

I recently bought a Humax Freesat box for Mrs c's office.  As Humax and Freesat had parted company in 2019 I looked at Amazon fr and ebay fr for refurbs. They both had a good selection, but unfortunately they were all being shipped from the UK. Not to be defeated, I googled Humax UK Freesat Ireland. Success.

I ultimately bought one from a company which is actually based in N. Ireland. No import or duty charges.👍

I had the same problem a month or so back when our satelite box blew up.

I bought a replacement from Finland of all places. They spoke English, it arrived in two days  and it was cheaper than the UK.

I avoid buying anything from the UK to be sent across. If I need something I will go and get it.

Well done Brexit. All that lost trade.

Edited by alittlebitfrench