So, how many of you are going to be asking for till receipts next year.

DaveLister

ALBF, my village is real France too where people live their lives reasonably happily as far as I can see. Me included.

I did not come to France to live in a shi**y area but then I would not do so in UK or anywhere else under present circumstances.

I suspect that those living in ‘bad’ areas are an unfortunate minority; One feels sorry for the way their dice have fallen and fully understand your craintes for your four year old. But t’was ever thus.

Yes, the medical services are stretched but perhaps no more so than in other winters; yes, there is a shortage of doctors etc, t’was ever thus. And pharmacies are having to take some of the load but that is no bad thing. Heck, they even doled out antihistamines to my daughter after Xmas.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, anotherbanana said:

ALBF, my village is real France too where people live their lives reasonably happily as far as I can see. Me included.

I did not come to France to live in a shi**y area but then I would not do so in UK or anywhere else under present circumstances.

I suspect that those living in ‘bad’ areas are an unfortunate minority; One feels sorry for the way their dice have fallen and fully understand your craintes for your four year old. But t’was ever thus.

Yes, the medical services are stretched but perhaps no more so than in other winters; yes, there is a shortage of doctors etc, t’was ever thus. And pharmacies are having to take some of the load but that is no bad thing. Heck, they even doled out antihistamines to my daughter after Xmas.

Well firstly I take exception to being told I talk a load of guff by folks who don’t know.

Secondly, if 70 % of peeps in a recent French poll complained about the sercurity issue in France then by your reasoning 70 % of French live in shììty areas. Which is obviously not the case.

I live in a very nice and very highly sort after area. I am very lucky to do so. But over the last 8 years it has changed in terms of security and poverty. So what will happen in the next 5-10 years ?

That is what and others are complaining about.

Till recepits dont bother me BTW.

People are influenced by what they see on the telly, newspapers, the internet and through various forms of gossip; this tends to form their opinions albf, hence their responses to the survey. I bet you got a fair bit of moans, groans and worries about France from your relatives round Xmas etc.

In a national Poll conducted between the 25th of November and the 5th of December of a sample of 10189 french adults    ( chosen to reflect a cross section of the population ) it was shown that 9 out of 10 French people were happy with their lives in their communes. When asked to give examples, 'calm and tranquility' along with the access to services were rated as "high" or " very high". The one out of ten who expressed dissatisfaction gave security and lack of local shops as examples.

https://harris-interactive.fr/opinion_polls/barometre-habitat-2022/

34 minutes ago, alittlebitfrench said:

Well firstly I take exception to being told I talk a load of guff by folks who don’t know.

There you go again, if someone who has lived here for nigh on 20 years whilst working and bringing up four children doesn't 'know' France then who the f**k does? Even though we have only ever lived in one department we have experienced most things that a French man or woman would have done - education from Primaire to Uni, countless medical interventions and hospital stays, visits from gendarmes and bailiffs, battling bureaucracy of all kinds etc, etc.

All of the above is just normal life and happens to everyone whether you live in an apartment block in Paris or a mini chateau in the country.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, anotherbanana said:

People are influenced by what they see on the telly, newspapers, the internet and through various forms of gossip; this tends to form their opinions albf, hence their responses to the survey. I bet you got a fair bit of moans, groans and worries about France from your relatives round Xmas etc.

Of course, that is true to your first point.

In terms of relatives, they have reached the age where they don’t care anymore. All of them live in far more dangerous places BTW.

1 hour ago, DraytonBoy said:

There you go again, if someone who has lived here for nigh on 20 years whilst working and bringing up four children doesn't 'know' France then who the f**k does? Even though we have only ever lived in one department we have experienced most things that a French man or woman would have done - education from Primaire to Uni, countless medical interventions and hospital stays, visits from gendarmes and bailiffs, battling bureaucracy of all kinds etc, etc.

All of the above is just normal life and happens to everyone whether you live in an apartment block in Paris or a mini chateau in the country.

Hmmm.

If we are playing trumps, I lived here nearly 25 years and have three kids born in France.

I have lived in 5 departments (Paris, Lyon…rural etc) and spend a lot of time in 4 others. All across France. North South, East and West.

I had a heart attack in Paris and have had three other operations. Spent lots of time in hospital.

I win.

Wherever you go, the debate is still the same.

On that point, I am working with a 24 year old electrician on the family home deep in rural France. It is about 40 mins from Lyon.
Anyway, we were talking about rates and what not. I said why don’t you work sometimes down in Lyon to get better rates. He said ‘it is too dangerous’.

Next time I see him, I will tell him to get a grip.

Edited by alittlebitfrench

I think the saddest thing is that there appears to be one or two people on this forum who wait for any opportunity to launch onto their favourite hobby horse. I started this thread and, although I admit it's hardly the most riveting piece of news, it is France related and I was genuinely interested in hearing people's views. In response I was accused of being feckless and deserving of anything that befell me. Norman answered the question and was promptly derided for his apparent lifestyle. It's no wonder people don't want to post anymore. As it is I was going to post something else today but, frankly as I can already guess what the responses would be, I won't bother.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We've been asked often before the new year started.  Having found many errors on previous receipts over the years, I always ask for my paper receipt.  I never leave any store without reviewing the receipt.  I just stand aside and read it.  Never takes very long. 

Some errors have been well above 10€ (often duplicate charges).  May not be much for some folks, but that is a sizeable error to me.

• Like 1

Blimey folks, this forum has been dead for months and people complain.

I start posting again, it comes alive, everyone joins in then they complain.

You cant have it boths ways.

French forums were alive when people had infantile debates. It will always be the same.

Look at the other forum, they just play games all day because they got nothing to talk about. Well apart from Chancer.  This forum is now more popular. Lol.

Get a grip. 

And happy year. ALBF has just turned fifty. But I will always remain a child. 

Only last week, I dropped into Weldom for six lengths of pipe insulation tube, priced at 0.70c a length. The receipt read 6 x 0.85c.  I had also purchased another article and the total bill had come to €9.95. I pointed out this error to the assistant at the customer services desk, who went and checked the displayed price and on return agreed that the price displayed was 0.70. and promptly refunded €4.20 to my card. I forgot to point out that they had ended up only charging me 0.15c  a length for the tubes.

We always take a receipt in Intermarche to enable us to take a punt on their slot machine barcode checker. So far we have won a perfectly acceptable backpack. 👍

That reminds me, our last trip to Weldom we purchased some packing material for the move.  Charge showed up nearly double.  Cashier called for assistance, checked price and promptly refunded overcharge back to card.  I don't think a lot of people check their receipts (at least not many I know). 

42 minutes ago, alittlebitfrench said:

Blimey folks, this forum has been dead for months and people complain.

I start posting again, it comes alive, everyone joins in then they complain.

You cant have it boths ways.

French forums were alive when people had infantile debates. It will always be the same.

Look at the other forum, they just play games all day because they got nothing to talk about. Well apart from Chancer.  This forum is now more popular. Lol.

Get a grip. 

And happy year. ALBF has just turned fifty. But I will always remain a child. 

If I want to converse with a child I talk to my grandson although as he's only 8 months old conversations tend to be one-sided which thinking about it is a bit like most of the discussions you participate in.

It doesn't have to be like this though, you could leave your 'inner child' at home once in a while and engage in an adult way which you might find is enjoyable. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, alittlebitfrench said:

I've been a member of this forum for nearly 20 years. We've certainly had some characters over the years and some heated debates. I would submit that only recently they have become "infantile".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 03/01/2023 at 11:10, DraytonBoy said:

If I want to converse with a child I talk to my grandson although as he's only 8 months old conversations tend to be one-sided which thinking about it is a bit like most of the discussions you participate in.

It doesn't have to be like this though, you could leave your 'inner child' at home once in a while and engage in an adult way which you might find is enjoyable. 

I have just read a very interesting thread on SF. 😎……which has been closed.

You been upsetting peeps again Drayton Boy on SF ?

I will say what I like unless someone tells me differently. A bit like yourself it seems……excuse the pun😏

Glass houses and all that. 😀

On that note, I am back to bed. I can’t shake this flu bug. 

4 hours ago, alittlebitfrench said:

I have just read a very interesting thread on SF. 😎……which has been closed.

You been upsetting peeps again Drayton Boy on SF ?

I will say what I like unless someone tells me differently. A bit like yourself it seems……excuse the pun😏

Glass houses and all that. 😀

On that note, I am back to bed. I can’t shake this flu bug. 

The difference between you and I is that you go out of your way to stir things up for your own enjoyment.  

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, DraytonBoy said:

The difference between you and I is that you go out of your way to stir things up for your own enjoyment.  

I think it should be you and me, sorry about being a pendant!!

1 hour ago, DraytonBoy said:

The difference is, this thread has not been closed. 

The god mods don’t fink I stir things up they just think I am a bit of a knõb. Which is fair.

You on the other managed to upset the lefties on SF. 

BTW……your second point is bullshìt as they say on SF.😃

16 minutes ago, alittlebitfrench said:

The difference is, this thread has not been closed. 

The god mods don’t fink I stir things up they just think I am a bit of a knõb. Which is fair.

You on the other managed to upset the lefties on SF. 

BTW……your second point is bullshìt as they say on SF.😃

Should I be flattered or concerned that you track what I post on another forum?

Moderating is certainly different on SF and is done by the owner who cannot tolerate any criticism, closing the thread was inevitable. 

The fact that you seem to revel in being a **** would indicate that my second point is spot on.

The moderation on SF is certainly not even handed,but I always thought it was a breech of netiquette to discuss issues from other forums?

This isn’t aimed at you DB I know you didn’t introduce the subject 

Edited by Riggers