So, how many of you are going to be asking for till receipts next year.

DaveLister

As you probably know most shops, including supermarkets, will be no longer issuing paper till receipts at the checkout from the 1st January. Apparently if you have a loyalty card it will be sent to the associated email address or to your smart phone. I always check the receipt before leaving the supermarket and at least four times a year will find errors in the bill. I wonder how you are going to be able to prove you didn't buy that crate of champagne if you have to wait to get home to read the email. Is everyone going to be standing at the checkout checking their smartphones? Normally I'm too busy loading up the trolley to watch the items get scanned individually but it usually takes less than a minute to speed read the receipt whilst heading for the door. I, for one, will be asking for a 'ticket' for some time to come. What about you?

It's about time waste, such as ticket receipts ,packaging and many other things were stopped. The mind boggles at such waste. With regard receipts, if people can't be bothered to work out how much they should be paying at the till , before they get there, then they almost deserve to be fiddled! Yes it takes a little bit of time to do it before hand but most stores have a 'price' machine', several in fact spaced around the store. people are just to idle to use them.

Wow Ken, I'm impressed!!! How you manage to keep in your head the shelf price of every item in your weekly food shop plus any promotions along with a running total is frankly amazing. That's a talent I'd pay to have😵. I suppose the checkout staff know you so well that when you tell them they've overcharged you they simply take you at your word.

I agree in part with the 'waste' argument but paper is biodegradable ( as it happens, I have a little piece of kit that uses things like receipts to make firelighters). I have no problem with stores only issuing receipts on demand but I think it shouldn't be on the consumer to ensure they have a proof of purchase. Ireland haven't had automatic receipts for a while but it is up to the store to ensure that the customer is given the choice. Over here, as I understand it, it will be up to the customer to insist. That, IMHO tilts the balance of power away from the consumer.

• Thanks 2

We have not had a paper receipt from Super U for about 9 months, by choice.  Same now for Lidl and  Leclerc.  They arrive on the phone as we leave the till.  Much easier to read than the paper ones, go straight back to the till or customer services to sort out any problems.  The 4€ discount that Leclerc have been doing for weeks normally arrives by Email, so no need to keep bits of paper either.  Great system.

Now all they need to do to make things better is to tell you when the items you have bought are subject to health recalls and automatically give you discounts without the need for coupons etc. 

Interesting. I'm assuming you have loyalty cards for those stores, otherwise how would they know your phone number? I'm finding my shopping habits are becoming more and more diverse and I'm using the cards I have less and less. In fact the last time I popped into a SuperU I discovered my card had been cancelled through lack of use. Bit of a shame as it had money on it.😒.

There used to be a great website that you could subscribe to and receive weekly emails with all the product recalls but it closed in 2017. The new one is nowhere near as good IMO. You have to know what product you are looking for. Again, onus on the consumer.

5 hours ago, DaveLister said:

Wow Ken, I'm impressed!!! How you manage to keep in your head the shelf price of every item in your weekly food shop plus any promotions along with a running total is frankly amazing. That's a talent I'd pay to have😵. I suppose the checkout staff know you so well that when you tell them they've overcharged you they simply take you at your word.

I agree in part with the 'waste' argument but paper is biodegradable ( as it happens, I have a little piece of kit that uses things like receipts to make firelighters). I have no problem with stores only issuing receipts on demand but I think it shouldn't be on the consumer to ensure they have a proof of purchase. Ireland haven't had automatic receipts for a while but it is up to the store to ensure that the customer is given the choice. Over here, as I understand it, it will be up to the customer to insist. That, IMHO tilts the balance of power away from the consumer.

Easily impressed I see! Yes it takes real talent to know how much you are spending!  The only thing I have to remember regarding how much I spend  is, have I brought my calculator with me? Yes it takes real talent to do that!! The responsibility is yours, if you can't be bothered to keep a check on how much you are spending, well, need I say more? As for single items well I guess I have the talent for that also and can actually remember how much I have spent! 

5 hours ago, DaveLister said:

4 hours ago, Lehaut said:

We have not had a paper receipt from Super U for about 9 months, by choice.  Same now for Lidl and  Leclerc.  They arrive on the phone as we leave the till.  Much easier to read than the paper ones, go straight back to the till or customer services to sort out any problems.  The 4€ discount that Leclerc have been doing for weeks normally arrives by Email, so no need to keep bits of paper either.  Great system.

Now all they need to do to make things better is to tell you when the items you have bought are subject to health recalls and automatically give you discounts without the need for coupons etc. 

Don't tell Dave Lister! He thinks it needs talent to not require a paper receipt!!

4 minutes ago, Le martin-pêcheur said:

Dave,

Réf the rappel site - this one works well enough and you can type the name of the supermarket in the top search bar, which narrows it down a bit. 

https://rappel.conso.gouv.fr/

Still a bit scary though in these times.................

Bonne Année

Thanks. That is the new site I was referring to but I hadn't thought of searching for a specific supermarket with it. You can also search using place names so, if you always shop in a particular town, you can limit it that way. I just think it's a shame that there isn't a way to subscribe for the latest recalls like there used to be on the old site. Still, from the looks of it, I'm glad I haven't bought any oysters recently🤢

I haven't been into a supermarket for over 5 years, so the problem doesn't arise for me. Fresh food I buy either in Les Halles or in one of the weekly markets, and the sort of bulky or  heavy items I need from a supermarket ( loo paper, detergent etc) I order online to be delivered and get the receipt in my email...

3 hours ago, NormanH said:

I haven't been into a supermarket for over 5 years, so the problem doesn't arise for me. Fresh food I buy either in Les Halles or in one of the weekly markets, and the sort of bulky or  heavy items I need from a supermarket ( loo paper, detergent etc) I order online to be delivered and get the receipt in my email...

Well done you.

Most folk can’t afford a Brit expat life like yourself…skipping down to the local French market like they do on those silly C4 ‘place in the sun’ shows.

Go down to our local Lidl every morning when it first opens and you will see peeps fight over the ‘out of dafe meat’ priced at 20 centimes and big bags of yesterday’s bread priced at 1 euro.

Sometimes Brits living in France make me want to scream !

Edited by alittlebitfrench

1 hour ago, alittlebitfrench said:

Well done you.

Most folk can’t afford a Brit expat life like yourself…skipping down to the local French market like they do on those silly C4 ‘place in the sun’ shows.

Go down to our local Lidl every morning when it first opens and you will see peeps fight over the ‘out of dafe meat’ priced at 20 centimes and big bags of yesterday’s bread priced at 1 euro.

Sometimes Brits living in France make me want to scream !

Utter load of guff as per usual. We live in a rural department where people survive on the SMIC but there's no fighting over 'out of date' food in Lidl.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DraytonBoy said:

Utter load of guff as per usual. We live in a rural department where people survive on the SMIC but there's no fighting over 'out of date' food in Lidl.

It is not load of ‘guff’ sunshine.

Go to my Lidl tomorrow and you will get trampled on at 8:30.

A couple of days ago a middle age well dressed woman ask me to pay at the till for some ‘out of date’ now 20 centimes meat because she was too embarrassed to pay for it herself. 

Of course I did. But I felt for her.

So **** off.. 

1 minute ago, alittlebitfrench said:

A couple of days ago a middle age well dressed woman ask me to pay at the till for some ‘out of date’ now 20 centimes meat because she was too embarrassed to pay for it herself. 

So **** off.. 

It's not our fault you live in a ghetto, most of France is not like that.

30 minutes ago, alittlebitfrench said:

So **** off.. 

He might just get home deliveries from Marks and Spencers

10 hours ago, DraytonBoy said:

It's not our fault you live in a ghetto, most of France is not like that.

A very expensive suburban ghetto I might add. And everybody wants to live here. So it must have something going for it.

Most of France is actually worse BTW. But we are catching up very quickly.

Im guessing your only experience of France is living a in rural touristy gitey area. Not really representative France is it. 🙄

Go and live in the suburbs (where the majority of people live) for a while and we will talk again.

17 minutes ago, alittlebitfrench said:

A very expensive suburban ghetto I might add. And everybody wants to live here. So it must have something going for it.

Most of France is actually worse BTW. But we are catching up very quickly.

Im guessing your only experience of France is living a in rural touristy gitey area. Not really representative France is it. 🙄

Go and live in the suburbs (where the majority of people live) for a while and we will talk again.

This is much more like it, rich verses poor, bitter ex pat, people starving in France now if we can introduce a bit more social divergence, or perhaps race then it will be truly entertaining. This site was incredibly boring. Much better now. Can we have more of the difference between rich and poor please?

48 minutes ago, DraytonBoy said:

ALBF has been trying to 'shut people down' on forums for years with his 'I live in real France you don't ****'. There are no real or fake bits of the country just different like everywhere else and to suggest otherwise is absurd.  

So why do 60-70 % of French people agree with me ?

Recent poll if you want to google it.

I am debating not shutting people down. The thing is, most peeps on French forums don’t move to areas or live in areas that are representative of French society. Therefore they don’t really understand the country they live in. That is a fair point. So they get all upset when you tell them differently.

I fed up of peeps slating the UK when problems here are the same. Same shît different coloured flag.

All our GP’s are on strike here and you can’t go to emergency without phoning first. Remind you of another country ?

A day don’t go passed here without someone being shot, stabbed or generally murdered. Or the police or pompiers being attacked. 

I have a loverly four year old. So yeah, I kinda worry about things things.

11 minutes ago, alittlebitfrench said:

am debating not shutting people down. The thing is, most peeps on French forums don’t move to areas or live in areas that are representative of French society. Therefore they don’t really understand the country they live in. That is a fair point. So they get all upset when you tell them differently

Should you really get all bitter and twisted over the apparent fact, according to you, that most expats, don't live in areas  you suggest is the 'real France'? Shot, stabbed, apparently murdered!! That is normal France? Should you really resent that because most of us live in an area where we don't have to wear stab vests and our local Policeman doesn't even carry a gun, let alone get 'apparently murdered', whatever that means! Perhaps it is you that needs to live in the 'real France' and get out of the 'cess pit', figuratively speaking,  you say you live in? Living amongst the dross seems to have affected your perspective!

All four of our kids have done or do live in cities here - Paris, Bordeaux, La Rochelle and Poitiers so we are fully aware of the dangers etc, none of them though have told us of the mass poverty and violent crime that ALBF describes so either they live very sheltered lives or it is not as widespread as he makes out.  

• Thanks 1

You can't equate economic migrants ( in which I include myself ) with the native population. Most of us immigrated to France because we believed we would have a better life. Those of us still here probably, on balance, still believe that to be the case. If not we would have moved on. I see no point in constantly having it pointed out to me that not all France lives as I do. I already know that and yet I still decide to remain. One has to ask ALBF, why are you still here?

1 hour ago, alittlebitfrench said:

I fed up of peeps slating the UK when problems here are the same. Same shît different coloured flag.

I agree but no one said anything about the UK in this thread or any other recently. I remind you the subject was till receipts.