1st time declaration

tuppence

Hi,

Went to the impots today to file a tax declaration first time for 2 friends of mine. We were told that the 2042 form we had downloaded from the gouv.fr website was incorrect.The lady there inferred that a new form was available for non-French residents. Has anyone else come across this at all?  She then went away and came back with another form 2042 and completed it on their behalf.  [8-)]

tuppence

Are you referring to 2047, perhaps, which they must fill in as well as 2042 (and 3916 if they have bank accounts outside France)?

Q: Which forms do I need?

A: There are three basic tax forms, all of which, and more, are available for download HERE.

• Form 2047 is a sort of work sheet for preliminary calculations before completing the main tax declaration.

• Form 2042 is the main tax declaration form:

• enter your personal details on page 1,

• tick the box for your married status and enter your respective years of birth (these are important because they determine the way your tax is calculated. 

• There are several versions of form 2042, some are simplified and do not contain all of fields necessary for residents with income that has been generated in the UK.  Depending on your personal circumstances, you may need to download other versions. 

• Form 3916 is used to list each foreign bank account that you have. This form must be completed for all accounts held outside France that were in existence at any time during the tax year, even if if you did not receive any income from them.

[quote user="tuppence"]No Coops, it was definitely the 2042, we had filled in the 2047 correctly. A mystery I think!

tuppence

[/quote]

Hi,

There is a form 2042NR for french people who become non-resident during a tax year but still receive french-taxable income. The tax office could possibly be using this.