Snow extent area - northern hemisphere - highest in 56 years.

Harnser

Snow extent in the Northern Hemisphere at the end of November represents an important parameter for the early winter forecast.

This year snow extent is running much higher than average and according to existing global estimates, it is now beyond the highest ever observed so far.

Winter forecast, especially in its early phase and in Europe, might be strongly influenced by such a large snow extent, although many other factors need attention.

https://www.severe-weather.eu/global-weather/snow-extent-northern-hemisphere-highest-56-years-winter-cold-rrc/

Could be a cold winter here - which we don't need, bearing in mind the electrical power situation.

snowcover.JPG

Edited by Harnser

Weather patterns are interesting. I keep a daily weather record and have done so for years. The one thing that is certain is that every year the weather pattern is different. Some dryer, wetter and more or less snow though perhaps surprisingly the average is, well about average!! It is the interpretation of these changes that alarms people into believing all sorts of theories. My own belief is that weather patterns started changing the second day the earth was formed and has continued to do so since with or without interference from mankind. The ski stations will be pleased anyway!!

6 hours ago, Judith said:

I can cope with the cold, it's the flooding afterwards that always concerns  me, after we were very badly flooded about 5-6 years ago .. so each winter now I panic a little when it is not dry.

I have , in another life, helped many people who have been 'flooded' out.  The mess is indescribable and an absolute disaster for those involved. Those that have no choice but to live in 'flood prone' areas I have every sympathy for; Inheritance, family or what ever. Those that choose to live in such areas because it's 'nice' or more likely cheap, I think are stupid! Harsh perhaps but there is a reason properties are cheaper in such localities!.

Ken, where I am, most properties are in a flood plain area because that is what it is, and have been here for hundreds of years,  not new build, very old towns on the whole, not particularly pretty, not because it is cheaper .. but what it is ..the whole of this part of the south of France is very low lying and always has been, it is not however, reclaimed land .. just a coastal plain where all the towns and villages are around here .. even the ones in the hills suffered the year after we did .. the weather patterns here are usually very kind, but there are storms every now and then, and have been over the years, which are reputed because they are more severe than the usual storms (2 fronts coming together, along with tides on the whole.) We were lucky in some ways, it came up and then down, and whilst there was a lot of mud and some furniture it wasn't possible to rescue, most was .. but all the floors needed to be redone and the kitchen was eventually replaced .. we were relatively lucky, but it is still not nice. 

8 hours ago, Judith said:

Ken, where I am, most properties are in a flood plain area because that is what it is, and have been here for hundreds of years,  not new build, very old towns on the whole, not particularly pretty, not because it is cheaper .. but what it is ..the whole of this part of the south of France is very low lying and always has been, it is not however, reclaimed land .. just a coastal plain where all the towns and villages are around here .. even the ones in the hills suffered the year after we did .. the weather patterns here are usually very kind, but there are storms every now and then, and have been over the years, which are reputed because they are more severe than the usual storms (2 fronts coming together, along with tides on the whole.) We were lucky in some ways, it came up and then down, and whilst there was a lot of mud and some furniture it wasn't possible to rescue, most was .. but all the floors needed to be redone and the kitchen was eventually replaced .. we were relatively lucky, but it is still not nice. 

Anyone who has been 'flooded' will have suffered privations  and chaos most people can't conceive of. Each year I see in the media the results of nature taking its revenge and I truly feel for those that suffer. I have spent many a shift sweeping , mopping and helping the victims of a flooding. Those people who live on a flood plain through no fault of their own have little or no choice but to simply hope that nature isn't going to hurt them but those who choose to live or move onto a flood plain must accept that what they are doing is a risk and should they be flooded , well they risked it and have to suffer the consequences. It is avoidable in many cases. When we moved to this region we did our research, as most do, part of that was being advised that whilst  it is a beautiful area, there is a possibility of the river flooding the valley, and so it came to pass about 15 years ago. The whole Vally was under water, helicopters lifting people off roofs, the whole town of St Pée badly flooded, dead sheep floating around the roads, it was horrendous. We viewed this from our home on the side of a hill some 150m up!  I'm sorry but people who choose to take a risk, be it for financial or aesthetic reasons shouldn't complain if it goes wrong. 

Ken, whilst I do accept what you say, if people in this region chose not to live here, in what is a basically a coastal plain of great depth  .. even the Romans lived here .. there would be no-one living along the Languedoc and other coastlines.  I agree that new builds now should not be put onto flood plains when possible, but history will show that flood plains have been populated over eons of time, since the world began even.  They even occur in the Bible ... but you do seem to have an holier than thou attitude which is totally unehelpful, for not all get even the chance to make a choice, it's there or nothing. 

4 hours ago, Judith said:

Ken, whilst I do accept what you say, if people in this region chose not to live here, in what is a basically a coastal plain of great depth  .. even the Romans lived here .. there would be no-one living along the Languedoc and other coastlines.  I agree that new builds now should not be put onto flood plains when possible, but history will show that flood plains have been populated over eons of time, since the world began even.  They even occur in the Bible ... but you do seem to have an holier than thou attitude which is totally unehelpful, for not all get even the chance to make a choice, it's there or nothing. 

You have got hold of the 'wrong end of the stick' entirely. There is nothing 'holier than though" about me at all.  You accept what I have said and even that you agree with me but then rather insultingly accuse me of something I'm not!  I have made it perfectly clear that some don't have a choice, but that others do.  You agree but strangely, you prefer to insult me.