Items banned from the Strasbourg Xmas market

17 hours ago, anotherbanana said:

by the Greens!

https://www.ladepeche.fr/2022/10/12/polemique-au-marche-de-noel-de-strasbourg-letonnante-liste-de-produits-interdits-cette-annee-10730673.php

Remember it is of Christian origin!

But, no champagne? Nuts. Presumably one could sell bibles and corans?

A strange list! No umbrellas or grilled chicken; can't even buy my cat a warm coat!!!! presumably I can still get as pissed as a parrot if I want!!

A return to their roots, a difficult concept to sell in these days of globalisation.

I wish the government would ban shops/TV/Adverts even mentioning Christmas until the start of December.  Some shops (mid October!) have their christmas fare out already.    There is a precedent.  Dresenden is considered the first genuine Christmas Market in the world. Founded as a one-day market in 1434.  They had the right idea.

Bah Humbug.

Come Christmas I usually take several hours putting up lights in the garden, not to mention the tree inside. This year I'm torn between doing so again and to hell with the energy crisis, or not, and having a light free Xmas! 

I'm not an eco freak by any means, by and large I think it all the 'eco' thing is a load of nonsense, though I do compost my house and garden refuse; but then again I did that long before it became 'fashionable'. I have to admit that my hesitation in not putting up lights stems from the possible fact that people would disapprove of me doing so and would not be to save us from Putin and his affects on gas supply!

When I see things like car washes going full blast and street lighting left on all night despite there being no traffic and indeed sometimes left on all day too because the 'timer' is wrong I wonder why I should bother!

I think I shall certainly have my tree with all its lights happily blazing away but as for the garden, well I'm undecided; unusual for me as normally I don't care a 'monkeys' what people think! I think it is only going to take someone with an even lower moral compass than I have to put up outside lights and that will be the tipping point  and 'up they will go'!

I could always pretend ,I suppose ,that I have my own generator purring away in the basement running on cheap petrol from Spain!!!

On 14/10/2022 at 09:02, Lehaut said:

Some shops (mid October!) have their christmas fare out already.   

I was in Lidl last Tuesday 11 Oct. and was shocked to see an aisle full of Christmas sweets.  I thought this craziness only happened in the U.S.  I don't remember ever seeing Christmas foods on display in barely mid October.

2 hours ago, Lori said:

I was in Lidl last Tuesday 11 Oct. and was shocked to see an aisle full of Christmas sweets.  I thought this craziness only happened in the U.S.  I don't remember ever seeing Christmas foods on display in barely mid October.

As far as I can remember (mind, I haven't done a factual check!) Lidl does this every year; always the first.  Not yet in the other stores near me.

We don't celebrate much, so we just go about doing our normal shopping.

Seems crazy.  Imagine how old all those sweets will be by the time Christmas rolls around.  Who knows when they were 'fabricated.'

I saw a headline yesterday warning that supermarket shelves will have empty areas due to the lack of fuel for the delivery trucks.

Guess they managed to get a jump on the Christmas items...