Does anyone have a VMC

Lori

ventilation mécanique contrôlée (VMC)

I'm trying to understand what type of maintenance they require.  We've never had one before.  I've read up and I 'think' I understand the difference between a VMC Simple and VMC Double (requiring more maintenance). 

I read that the system should be cleaned twice per year.  Anyone know if this is true?  Is this something that can be done by us or does this require a professional to clean the vents?

Thanks for any tips/advice.

They are supposed to stop damp damaging the house and are obligatory in new housing, I think.

But I keep my turned off largely as it sucks the warm air out and puts up the heating bill

This house had one when I bought it; I have never cleaned it but have had some small problems with condensation in the pipes feeding back.

I agree with Harnser though, if you open doors and windows for a part of the day then the damp air will be sorted.

There are a couple of simple damp metres in the house so I can keep a close eye on things.

Edited by anotherbanana

Thank you.  I too have searched them to see how they operate, so I get that.  It just isn't totally clear to me how often and in what way maintenance is carried out on them.

No, I don't think I would install such a thing, but we are looking at a house that has the system already installed.  Just wanting to know how to maintain it.  Of course, I will ask the owners of the house.

Just thought someone on here might have one and know the answer.

The single one extracts moist warm air, and the double one likewise but in addition pumps in colder air to replace the warm air it extracted. Seems totally counter- intuitive to me.

A similar situation we had in our last UK house with a gas fire in the fireplace - regulations stated that we had to have an enormous air vent in the wall which on a cold windy winter's night nearly blew you out of your chair.

Edited by Harnser

My comment does not relate directly to a VMC but I hope it might be useful for Lori in her house hunt.

I always look for windows to the outside in bathrooms and toilets.  It's so much nicer, as both Harnser and Wooly have said, to be able to open windows for ventilation. 

Some modern houses seem to "squeeze" in bathrooms or toilets between other rooms (particularly "en suite" bathrooms) and I so dislike having ventilation mechanically rather than the easy opening of windows.  Also these "interior" bathrooms necessarily have to have artificial lighting and there's nothing worse than having to put on your make-up in artificial light.  How do you know what colour you will be when you go out into the true light of day???👾

Our bathroom and toilet have no windows - maybe a common problem with large single storey houses.

I installed extractor fans with timers in both of these. They start when the light is switched on, and stop after an adjustable time - about 10 minutes for the toilet and 30 for the bathroom. This avoids having a fan running and using power all day.

The kitchen, hob and utility room extractors are manually controlled, and we usually open a window when they are running.

Edited by ssomon
spellinge

Our flat has a central VMC unit, running 100% of the time. There are four ventilation grills in the toilet, bathrooms and kitchen.  They work really well, no condensation problems at all.  Each one is fitted with a type of filter or grill which I remove periodically and clean, especially the one in the kitchen as it collects grease.  They are single flux.  Taking to a French householder recently, they turned their double flux off in the summer as it was making the house hotter introducing heated air in.

Allegedly damp air takes more energy to heat than dry air, so keeping humidity out of the house/flat at all times is a good thing, by VMC or having windows open.

Thank you all.  Good to know about cleaning the ventilation grills Lehaut.  That is what I was trying to figure out.  Some of the data I read implied that a professional cleaning of the actual tube/ducts was required.  If so, I am not clear on how often that would be needed.

Lori, I spoke with a French neighbour on your behalf yesterday.  She has a VMC (must be double flux from the conversation) and she tells me a man comes and services it every year to ensure good functioning.

She is however disable and so perhaps it is something you can do yourself as Lehaut has suggested.