Is your car worth saving from a shotgun?

It seems that that the white trash Brits that used to hide out in France are still around, in this case in the Dordogne.

Two of them attacked a British chap to steal his car and shot him, though not fatally; it seems they were well oiled with booze, cannabis and cocaine.

If you believe the Connexion:

https://www.connexionfrance.com/article/French-news/British-man-shot-defending-car-from-burglars-in-Dordogne-court-told?utm_source=Master+List&utm_campaign=75bdf38ac5-NON_SUBS_NEWSLETTER&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_9b5fbe85b4-75bdf38ac5-357604305

2 hours ago, DaveLister said:

Morning Ken,

Had a good holiday?

Haven't been away yet. I go in January!!! Can you imagine the furore if the term 'Black trash' had been used, probably be a guest of macron's penitentiary system by now!!!

• Like 1

Had I wished to indicate otherwise, Ken, I would have written tsotsi or badmash. 

As I am white, the last time I looked, I am entitled to comment on my own race, at least? I have come across more than enough white trash in France over the years though perhaps Brexit may cleared them out. It is up to the gendarmes to root out those who pop over for a couple of months thieving.

My understanding is that Spain had more than its fair share.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, anotherbanana said:

Had I wished to indicate otherwise, Ken, I would have written tsotsi or badmash. 

As I am white, the last time I looked, I am entitled to comment on my own race, at least? I have come across more than enough white trash in France over the years though perhaps Brexit may cleared them out. It is up to the gendarmes to root out those who pop over for a couple of months thieving.

My understanding is that Spain had more than its fair share.

Bull sh-it all you want. Yes, you can comment on your own race but why decide they are white trash? You don't know! Perhaps they were white trash or black trash or east European trash or simply Banana trash! Since  when are you judge and jury?

My dear, sweet Ken, my views are my own, get used to it or suck it up. I am not prepared to debate with you. Your record on the forum suggests you like to stir the pot for the sake of it, not good. Suggest you go on holiday, try to find some friends though I cant think where, and come back if you must with your brain unfried. Fondest.

• Like 2

Same paper, different story says they got off with probation. It's a bit garbled in places, but that's The Connection.

https://www.connexionfrance.com/article/French-news/Dordogne-homejacking-Shooter-and-accomplice-escape-jail-sentenceAA

In contrast, this young lady, although doing bad things on the road, did no harm to anyone, but received a jail sentence.

https://france3-regions.francetvinfo.fr/occitanie/tarn/albi/tarn-la-figure-emblematique-du-mouvement-conspirationniste-one-nation-interpellee-2622424.html#xtor=EPR-521-[france3regions]-20220927-[info-titre6]&pid=459386-1651791101-1b2fba3b

6 hours ago, anotherbanana said:

My dear, sweet Ken, my views are my own, get used to it or suck it up. I am not prepared to debate with you. Your record on the forum suggests you like to stir the pot for the sake of it, not good. Suggest you go on holiday, try to find some friends though I cant think where, and come back if you must with your brain unfried. Fondest.

Introducing colour into your comment was wrong and you should know it!  Had you said 'black trash' you would, without a doubt, have been in trouble. Fortunately for you and your liberal 'opinion' it would seem it is acceptable to say 'white trash'! Trying to deflect what you said by making childish remarks about holiday and friends doesn't wash with me, a racist remark intentional or otherwise is unacceptable. 

Every time I think of Ken an image springs to mind of a man sitting in front of a bank of screens, scanning for something to be offended at. A kind of pound shop bond villain for Forums. Unfortunately, occasionally his joy at finding something he considers controversial leads him to jump into the fray before the brain engages.

Racism is defined as "Prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one’s own race is superior." Mr Banana has already stated he is white and therefore his comment cannot be considered racist anymore than a black person calling another black person the "N" word is racist.

• Like 3

'White trash' is a racist and discriminatory expression of that there can be no doubt. There are many connotations regarding it and they don't have to apply simply to people of different colour. In the context of use by Banana it was quite definitely discriminatory. Simply dissecting the expression doesn't make it any the less racist. It is an unsavoury expression and anyone supporting it should be ashamed of themselves.

9 minutes ago, DaveLister said:

He's a sweetie

Well actually he is a she!!!! It's a very long story but when her Mum turned up on my doorstep many years ago ( a wild cat not even feral!) I trapped her and eventually ended up at the vet where he x-rayed her and told me there were three kittens two male, one female. My wife decided on names for all of them but of course when they were born, on my lap by the way, we stuck with the names we had decided on so Jake was forever doomed to be thought of as a male and people are forever doomed to listen to the story!!!

Ken, that was a touching story about how you came by jake and her siblings.  I have now decided that underneath all your truculent exterior, you must actually be a real softie at heart?  Am I right in this assessment?

IMO, anyone who is kind and considerate to cats cannot be entirely bad.  Anyone who is kind to dogs also and birds and all manner of living things.....

Live and let live.  OK MOST of the time...!!!

We have any number of feral cats who walk through our garden on their way somewhere known only to cats, all following  a path probably established by the First Cat.

We regard them as no more or less than any other wild animals which pass by, with no wish to either befriend or nourish them.

Yesterday a young one, looking very like "Jake", was tormenting a tiny mouse, about an inch long, on our grass patch, letting it loose only to hunt it down again when it moved a few feet.

When I went out a couple of times to interfere, it picked up the mouse by the tail, carried it out of reach into the bushes, and returned to its game when I went back inside.

Cats have nasty habits as well as smells.

2 hours ago, menthe said:

Ken, that was a touching story about how you came by jake and her siblings.  I have now decided that underneath all your truculent exterior, you must actually be a real softie at heart?  Am I right in this assessment?

IMO, anyone who is kind and considerate to cats cannot be entirely bad.  Anyone who is kind to dogs also and birds and all manner of living things.....

Live and let live.  OK MOST of the time...!!!

Hey, c'mon I have a reputation to consider!!!!!  

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, ssomon said:

We have any number of feral cats who walk through our garden on their way somewhere known only to cats, all following  a path probably established by the First Cat.

We regard them as no more or less than any other wild animals which pass by, with no wish to either befriend or nourish them.

Yesterday a young one, looking very like "Jake", was tormenting a tiny mouse, about an inch long, on our grass patch, letting it loose only to hunt it down again when it moved a few feet.

When I went out a couple of times to interfere, it picked up the mouse by the tail, carried it out of reach into the bushes, and returned to its game when I went back inside.

Cats have nasty habits as well as smells.

It is human nature, I suppose, when someone sees a cat 'playing' with a mouse that they condemn the cat! Understandable as the mouse appears a 'friendly' little thing that harms no one; worse of course when a cat kills a bird.  No one ever praises the cat that kills rats!! Famers invariably have several cats around doing a very good job in that respect. 

I have saved countless mice, birds and other mammals that  my cats have caught, sadly not all. Cats are not 'playing' with mice they catch they are simply following an age old instinct regarding hunting. As regards 'feral' cats it is more likely the ones you see are domesticated and not feral. Feral cats would be hunting to eat, not play! As regards habits and smells--- Cats are inherently clean animals and spend a lot of time cleaning themselves. If, one should get close enough to a cat and it smells it would be because it is very sick and can't take care of itself. As for nasty habits, I don't know of any.

It's funny how we distinguish between the suffering of a mouse (cute) and a rat (less cute).     One of our three chats d'origine francais proudly brought in a large dead rat to the bedroom a few nights ago and was roundly congratulated.    I daresay the rat was less happy with the situation.  

Edited by Martin963