French flags at half mast

Hmmm, Macron wanted flags in France to the flown at half mast for the Queen’s death but numbers of mayors, mainly of the Left and Further Left are refusing to do so for various reasons. But they were quite happy for them to be thus flown for the death of Stalin.

Any thoughts.

There is an article in the Telegraph and maybe elsewhere but the former has a pay wall so not much use posting it but here it is anyway:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2022/09/12/french-mayors-revolting-lowering-flag-respect-queen-elizabeth/

On 13/09/2022 at 14:21, anotherbanana said:

Hmmm, Macron wanted flags in France to the flown at half mast for the Queen’s death but numbers of mayors, mainly of the Left and Further Left are refusing to do so for various reasons. But they were quite happy for them to be thus flown for the death of Stalin.

Any thoughts.

There is an article in the Telegraph and maybe elsewhere but the former has a pay wall so not much use posting it but here it is anyway:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2022/09/12/french-mayors-revolting-lowering-flag-respect-queen-elizabeth/

Indeed I do! My better half and I almost came to blows over it, well not quite but we did see it differently. From my perspective I understood that some mayors would not fly the flag at half mast. The reason, I read, was that it would be paying homage to Royalty and that goes against the grain of the republican ideal. I can actually go along with that if it were true and showed solidarity with Royalty. BUT! My argument with my better half was that Macron wasn't showing solidarity with  Royalty but simply asking for flags to be lowered out of respect, a different thing entirely. That some Mayors have made it political I think is to their discredit. If they don't have respect for the Queen then so be it but don't make excuses for not doing so!

• Like 1