Moving To Magnac-Laval

Bonjour Forum members. My wife and I Tommy & Hilde Wilkens have purchased a house in Magnac-Laval and we are excited about our move which will be at some point in 2023. I am a US citizen with a US passport and my wife is an EU Citizen with a Belgium passport. We are presently living in the USA. Can any of the forum members comment on Magnac-Laval and the surrounding area? We thank you and we look forward to your reply's.

T-H, Although we do not live very close to your town/village, we are reasonably familiar with the surrounding area. You have chosen to be near Limoges airport and also that of Poitiers. The A20 autoroute is handy to get to Paris and Toulouse and it even has free sections. The journey to the coast at La Rochelle is quite long at about two and a half hours driving so it makes a very long day out.

The whole area is generally rural with a pleasing outlook but is regarded as one of the more affordable parts of France. We live in a similar area and love it. I wish you well with your new house there and have a long, happy adventure in 2023.

You’re welcome T-H. We live in England and have had a secondaire in central France for over 20 years. It continues to be a great success and has been very rewarding, not financially, but through the culture, friends (from UK, French, Dutch, Belgian, German and plenty of others) and neighbours. We live in the countryside in the south of England and the French countryside is also very lovely.

I think you should be confident of an exciting life here. Good luck!

• 1 month later...

Thanks for sharing your advice. Thomas and Hilde, I wish you all the best, guys! My wife and I have recently moved to another city on the opposite side of the US, and we’re really happy about it. Tbh we’ve never been to Magnac-Laval, but we’ve developed some rules that will help you move successfully. First of all, I totally agree with Catalpa. You should always double your expectations. The second thing is that you should find a reliable moving service. Personally, we hired *************. No ad, just a recommendation. Our friends advised us about it. And last but not least: plan everything in advance. Sounds pretty simple, but it always works. So, best wishes to you, Thomas and Hilde!! Keep us updated.