French prices

I am renovating my OH's family rural house that she inherited. It is in a very good area. 20 Mins from Macon and 50 mins from Lyon.

So the house is free. Apart from some Notaire fees. 6 K ish lets say. 

It is going to cost about...150 k to renovate .....to make it a house worth living in. 

So this is free (no buying costs) and it going cost 150 k to renovate it.

Will it be worth 150 k in rural desert medical France ? No.

And to be fair it is in very good condition. 

So yeah, I would not buy any of those dumps shown in that article. 

Edited by alittlebitfrench

7 hours ago, anotherbanana said:

I wonder what the prices of these houses would have been if they had been advertised to expats? It seems you can still get dirt cheap bricks and mortar in France but where are they?

https://immobilier.lefigaro.fr/acheter/guide-d-achat-immobilier/1296-10-idees-de-residences-secondaires-pour-moins-de-100-000-euros/

They are in the middle of no where.  Cheapest ones seem to be round the middle of the country - FAR - FAR from most anything.  Normally in towns that look beat up and left to rot.

They also tend to be in areas where the weather is not pleasant, too much of one thing or another - or - too much of everything.

When looking for a property many years ago the estate agent gave us two very good pieces of advice. 1. Think about when you want to buy a bag of sugar and 2. Never buy a house near a river!  Two absolutely priceless pieces of advice.

2 hours ago, Ken said:

When looking for a property many years ago the estate agent gave us two very good pieces of advice. 1. Think about when you want to buy a bag of sugar and 2. Never buy a house near a river!  Two absolutely priceless pieces of advice.

Excellent advice.  Houses on terraced land is another.

Just curious;

I am renovating my OH's family rural house that she inherited. It is in a very good area. 20 Mins from Macon and 50 mins from Lyon.

So the house is free. Apart from some Notaire fees. 6 K ish lets say. 

It is going to cost about...150 k to renovate .....to make it a house worth living in. 

So this is free (no buying costs) and it going cost 150 k to renovate it.

Will it be worth 150 k in rural desert medical France ? No.

And to be fair it is in very good condition. 

So yeah, I would not buy any of those dumps shown in that article. 

You are renovating the house at a cost of 150K, knowing it will not be worth that when/if you are finished, why are you doing it?  Do you intend to live in this medical desert?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ken said:

While I agree with the bag of sugar quote, we've lived quiet happily with 100ft of river bank at the end of our garden for 18 years. Each too his own I suppose.

12 minutes ago, Lehaut said:

Just curious;

You are renovating the house at a cost of 150K, knowing it will not be worth that when/if you are finished, why are you doing it?  Do you intend to live in this medical desert?

Because the house has been in the family for over 300 years. It is very old.

It will never ever get sold.

But also if one of the kids needs a fully functioning house for free, they have one.

2 minutes ago, NickP said:

While I agree with the bag of sugar quote, we've lived quiet happily with 100ft of river bank at the end of our garden for 18 years. Each too his own I suppose.

And long may it continue. You would have seen though the many who haven't had your good fortune. I appreciate that those poor ****s had no choice in the matter, inherited and whatever but where I live (on a hill) the valley and village were devastated not so long ago (St Pée sur Nivelle) It really was mind-blowing to see what water can do, all in the space of two hours!! I sincerely hope your good luck lasts.

• Like 1